Api 512c or LA610 for overheads?

5stringer

Hello everyone!

Here's my question... I am about to record my bands drummer and have an assortment of mics and a couple mic pre's to choose from but don't know which to use where. We are a 70's top 40's / rock band. ...think Doobies, Steely Dan, America, Guess Who....

Here is my current setup:

Snare - SM57
Kick - AKG D112
(2) Rack Toms - Sennheiser MD421
Floor Tom - Sennheiser MD421
(2) Overheads - Shure SM81

M-Audio Profire 2626
(2) UA LA-610's
(2) API 512c's

Should I run the overheads through the UA pres and leave the API pres for the kick and snare? Or vice versa. What logic do you use in your decision? These are the only pres I have to work with, though I know some people frown on the mix and match approach for recording drums - I just don't have the funds for more 512c's or a 3124+ Right now....

How would you best utilize the gear I listed above?

I would think the API's would be too colored for OH mics, unless that's what you want.

You've got killer gear to work with, looks like to me its all gonna depend on your room now.

I would think the API's would be too colored for OH mics, unless that's what you want.

You've got killer gear to work with, looks like to me its all gonna depend on your room now.

My room is definitely the weakest link - it's my basement with carpet and drop ceiling. I do have some 4" bass traps hanging on the walls but I am concerned about reflections coming off the ceiling . So... You would go with the API pres on snare and kick and use the UA LA610's for overheads?

Yeah I would put the api on the kick and snare personally. UA on the overheads I guess, I honestly haven't used that preamp enough to really know it that well.

Start there and don't get married to any sound until you try some other things too. And You might consider finding another area to record your drums.

I use a 610 on the snare all the time and I love it. But thats what I like. Great drum mics. i usually reach for large diaphragms on the overheads or ribbons, depends on what you are going for. I use API press on the overheads.

Start there and don't get married to any sound until you try some other things too. And You might consider finding another area to record your drums.

Yea... I'm kinda stuck with this space right now. My ceilings aren't high enough to hang some absorption "clouds" so I was thinking about making sure my overheads are no more than halfway between the cymbals and the ceiling. I'm concerned about reflections AND phase in this space. I figured I'd ask about the pres everyone has experience with to help minimize the variables I'm dealing with....

Back