Anybody using one of these "portable recording booths" for vocals?

They can be useful in certain situations. Why do you think you need one?

What's the room that you're singing in like - size, wall and floor composition/coverings, furniture etc? And what's the vocal style you're trying to capture.

There may be other solutions, or there may be no need at all. What problem are you trying to correct?

Not enough information to give you a real answer...

I use the Mudguard on occasion - mostly for harmony vocals (I bought it used for a low cost off Craigslist). My studio does have an isolation room for lead vocals (and for tracking guitar cabs) - but trying to fit 2 or more vocalists in there gets awkward). So, I'll set the Mudguard up in my control room and position the harmony singers around it.

Armistice has some very good points - what are you hoping to achieve? If you have a relatively bare room with untreated walls - creating a lot of sound reflections, then there could be a valid use for that type of product. However, if you're recording in a room with a lot of furnature, curtains over the windows, etc. - you may not have too many reflections and you may not need the product.

You could achieve the same basic effect by hanging a couple of packing blankets to create a "poor man's vocal booth"

Cosmetically I did not want to present that image (since I do have paying customers - at times marketing agencies, etc. - However, if I was just recording vocals for my own purposes, I would save the money and hang some packing blankets.

I use this poor mans recording booth setup that has been amazing at cleaning up the tonal quality of my vocal recordings.

The picture shows the booth opened up. When I'm recording in it, I pull in the blanket/stands behind the mic in very tight and they are at around a 60 deg angle, the blanket stand behing my back also get pulled in tight and that one is also angled. I try and avoid any perpendicular or parallel angles on the blankets.

Attachments

• stands.JPG
    stands.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 106
  • GOBO SML.JPG
    GOBO SML.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 101
I built a DIY portable vocal booth for about $100 that looks really nice and works just as good or better than the ones you can buy from RealTraps or any of the other brands. It's made out of OC703 rigid fiberglass and can be put on a stand for use as a vocal shield or set in front of a guitar amp for guitar recordings. You can actually watch a walk-through of it HERE. If you have some basic knowledge about building, you could easily make one of these and save lots of money.

Back