Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another bloody preamp thread

Thanks

Another bloody preamp thread

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi everyone, Iím getting to the stage of releasing some really good stuff but Iím not happy with my recordings. Iíve never had a good preamp so Iíd like to get a pro quality single channel thatís versatile enough to do vocals, bass and guitar.

Now I am open to having two preamps costing around £500 each dedicated for the application, or one fully versatile preamp costing £1000. Iíve done quite a bit of research but remain confused. I was going to get an Avalon U5 for bass and use a RNP for everything else but it might be stupid doing that if I can spend the same amount of money on a single unit of better quality.

Iím not into metal or recording lots of distorted sounds (but I do sometimes), I just want to eliminate the excuse of ďI donít have a good preamp to recordĒ as its holding me back a bit.

Any suggestions?
    The Adding Machine

Thanks
    Hi,
    There's a few ways to look at investing in a preamp.
    The main one, with budget gear, is because you don't have enough gain for your dynamic mics and/or you're recording down hiss from your existing preamp.
    That one's a no-brainer. Moving up the ladder to a better quality bit of kit is going to help.

Another is flavour/colour/preference and all those other lovely words that no one can measure.
    Some dismiss it just like good/better/best guitar cables; Others swear it's a critical point in the chain for tone/colour/whatever.
    Plenty of engineers swear by picking a good console and sticking to it. Others swear bass must be API and vocal must be Neve.
    I think you just have to find your own way, there.

Another is one of those 'I didn't know until...'. If your preamp is imparting some kind of sound or tone that you aren't even aware of, that's accumulating every time you record a new track.
    A cleaner, or in some way 'better', preamp might not rock your world in a one-on-one shootout, but you might find after tracking a whole mix through it that your mix works better or just sounds better overall.

What do you use right now?
    As a broad suggestion I'd probably buy/rent/borrow something 'safe' and see how you get on with it.
    Do a full session or two and see if you notice any real difference.

Depending on your setup you might find putting money elsewhere, like in room treatment, has a more obvious impact.
    Tell us more.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For me, the preamp is very subtle, like finding another LDC that just seems to make some things easier. (Full disclosure, I bought a new mic and preamp earlier this year and it has made my life a lot better, but I also did even more treatment, and that's probably helped as much.)

IMO, it's unlikely to be something casual listeners could pick out and say, "oh, you got a new preamp!" and, TBH, there's almost certainly some factor of having a couple pieces of gear put a pretty big hickey on $1k (as I did), i.e., it's going to sound better to you. But, as @Steenamaroo says, it's usually not the biggest bang for buck out there for a lot of home recording folks. Some more info and perhaps even a clip with a specific of "here's where I'm thinking a preamp will help" or "I'd like this [whatever] track to have a little more of [something] - will preamp X help me get that?" kind of discussion.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just now I’m using a Allen and heath zed10 going into a RME HDSPe AIO. I guess I just feel a bit overwhelmed with tech as I’m having to do everything else myself. I’d much rather just be told do this and do that and you’ll not go wrong. The room cannot be treated apart from the rock wool panels I have.

I want to record bass direct, guitar through my vox or Mesa amp, and I use a Roland kit to trigger vst kits. So it’s really just vocals bass and guitar I need this for.
    Last edited by _brian_; 11-13-2018 at 09:41.

Thanks
    What's the vocal mic?

G

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    What's the vocal mic?

G
    My main vocal mic is the Audio-Technica AT2035, but I also have SM57 beta and sm57 mics.
    The Adding Machine

Thanks

Thanks
    I used to use a focusrite Twintrack Pro Platinum preamp for vocals and bass. It is a preamp with a channel strip and an opto-coupler compressor on each channel. It had a very distinct signature sound which I liked very much. wonder if I still have that thing....

I heard good things about the True Systems P-Solo. They are single channel.

The mic, the preamp and monitoring environment have the most impact on how good your audio is. Most mics and preamps in the lower cost range are still pretty good and can compete somewhat with the expensive stuff. That leaves your mixing/monitoring environment as the largest variable and then maybe your recording environment. You have panels on your walls, so it sounds like you got a good grasp of what you need.

Thanks
    Lot of different ways to go and no two people are going to go the same way. For what you are doing I might buy an inexpensive preamp with starved tube for color, a Bass guitar direct box(there are a number of very good ones just for bass) and a better microphone( Shure KSM32 or 44, Audio Techinica AT4050/4047SVm etc)
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    why is your preamp holding you back with mics like the AT and 57s? I just cannot subscribe to the idea that there's a restriction on recording quality that's quantifiable? If you have a grand, then if you buy a really nice microphone that has lots of options - like the AKG 414 (my favourite for years) that will notch up your quality in a way anyone can hear - brightness, depth, the ability to hear little nuances that some instruments have. A grand on preamps that should be transparent is way, way down my list of things to spend money on. If I had more money, I'd buy TWO 414S.

Thread Information