Analogue synth into guitar pedal into console - DI box needed?

bigblip

I have an Arturia Minibrute analogue synth connected to an overdrive pedal, a multifx pedal (for modulation and reverb) and a delay pedal (all guitar pedals). The output from the last pedal goes into a StudioLive III/32 channel desk.

I understand that if I connect the keyboard directly to the desk I would need a passive DI box, but do I need one between the pedals and the desk or do the pedals negate that need? If one is needed, should it be passive or active?

First foray into hardware synths so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Hi there,
If the Minibrute output is a line output, which it most likely is, you'd just need to take that to a line input on the desk via the appropriate cable.
If the Mini output is stereo which, again, it most likely is, you'll need a 1/4" TRS to 2x 1/4" TS,
unless your desk happens to have a TRS stereo input somewhere in which case a single TRS-TRS cable is fine.

Seems the Minibrute literature is needlessly vague on the topic?

'Instrument level' usually refers to anything with a pickup; Electric guitar or bass, for example.
Although keyboards and synths are instruments, their outputs usually operate at line level.

If you were running a guitar/bass into a preamp you'd want a DI Box,
or if you were running a line level signal into a amplifier/pedal which expects input from guitar/bass, you'd want a reamp box.

I think, technically, the pedal setup you describe should probably be
synth->Reamp box->Pedals->D.I.->MicPreamp
but, in reality, I think most pedals are happy enough working in line level environments.

No. Unless there's an actual ground loop problem that can't be solved other ways, you don't need a DI for the keyboard and you don't need a DI for the pedal. Just plug them in.

Even if there is a ground loop, the DI is not the best solution either. A 1:1 isolation transformer would be much better.

If hums are an issue - it's always worth wiring a jack to pins 2 and 3 of an XLR, and turning the gain right down. No connection to the ground on the XLR often works like a charm, and most preamps at the lowest setting can accept a fairly high signal with no issues - worth trying!

You can lift the shield on any balanced connection (TRS or XLR) and it sometimes helps. You can pseudobalance - again leaving the shield lifted - like rob says with most modern gear when you need to get from unbalanced to balanced (TRS or XLR) and that sometimes helps. You can make sure that everything that is mains powered is plugged into the same power strip and that sometimes helps.

It's only a problem if it's a problem, though. The first step should always be to just plug it in. If that works, you're done. Even if there's some noise, but not enough to ruin the recording. You're recording now. If there is actually too much unwanted noise, then you look at alternatives. Believe it or not, the "free" solutions that we're talking about really are usually objectively better...when they work... Sometimes they don't because noise is sneaky and kind of random by nature. Then maybe you try a transformer.

The reason a DI is not ideal here is that the step down through the transformer drops your signal 20db further into whatever noise gets added further down the line. I was actually just messing with this the other day in my studio and found that the extra hiss after running through a DI and then compensating at the mic pre sounded better to my ears but wasn't a whole lot quieter than the sort of jittery ground noise I got with the straight wire connection.

Back