Analog Mixer Setup/ What's Analog?

jonhall5446

Having learned recording on an all digital rig I have never had answers to some of my analog recording questions.

What I would like to know is, in a big studio when running into a large mixing board how can you mix in post. I'll use drums to clarify... You have your high hat on fader 1, kick on 2, and snare on 3. After you record the drums how is it that you can still mix tracks independently. What do you record into that will allow your mixer to work with each individual track? If you were recording into a reel to reel, then how would the reel to reel know where to assign each track in playback? Am I making any sense? Once upon a time (ten years ago), did folks mix everything in real time?

Quite right, you have a multi-track recorder, which you can then playback and mix in "realtime" and record that mix from a stereo subgroup out on the mixer. With reel to reel you would have several synchronised tape reels recording at the same time, which you can also mix afterwards in the same way.

Thank god for digital thats all I can say!

Reel to reel tape machines can keep tracks separate. Think of how a regular cassette tape can keep 4 tracks separate (left and right for the "front" side, left and right for the "back" side). Look at how skinny that tape is, and then look at how wide reel to reel tape is. Much more physical real estate to write more tracks.

Ok, So with the advent of multi-track recorders came the ability to mix independently bla bla bla.

O.K another question. Why can't I plug a analog mixer into my digi 001 and assign tracks. Why does it have to be motormix or some other digital hoopla.

I can't answer re the digi, but here is another alternative from your reel to reel scenario........I use a Soundcraft 24 channel, 8 buss analogue console. 16 channels are permanently connected via snake to an XLR stage box in the main recording area, each of those channels has a direct (tape) out permanently connected via patchbay to a Fostex 16 track hard disk recorder, the returns from the Fostex come back, again via a patchbay to the tape ins on the respective channels.....this allows me to track direct to the Fostex and mix down the same way...........also apart from the "onboard" editing facilities on the Fostex, I have the added flexibility of patchbays. Also, for the sake of discussion, the insert points on each channel are run to another patchbay.

The only time I use a PC is for final stereo mixdown to burn to CD.

Just another way to combine analogue and digital.

:cool:

ausrock said:
I can't answer re the digi, but here is another alternative from your reel to reel scenario........I use a Soundcraft 24 channel, 8 buss analogue console. 16 channels are permanently connected via snake to an XLR stage box in the main recording area, each of those channels has a direct (tape) out permanently connected via patchbay to a Fostex 16 track hard disk recorder, the returns from the Fostex come back, again via a patchbay to the tape ins on the respective channels.....this allows me to track direct to the Fostex and mix down the same way...........also apart from the "onboard" editing facilities on the Fostex, I have the added flexibility of patchbays. Also, for the sake of discussion, the insert points on each channel are run to another patchbay.

The only time I use a PC is for final stereo mixdown to burn to CD.

Just another way to combine analogue and digital.

:cool:

This is what I am doing except replace the Fostex with the HD24. Should work out just dandy

Same here. An Alesis HD24, MOTU 2408mkII, computer system coupled with an analog console (Tascam M3500) I have a digital system that behaves like analog. I like it. YMMV.

Wow, we've gone from a bunch of analog guys asking about this new digital, to a bunch of digital guys asking "what's analog?"
This is one of those "would you recognize the future if you saw it?" moments.

the problem is you've got kids saying things like "thank god for digital" when they've never heard the glorius sound of a 2" studer or scully reel to reel. When I have newbies come in I track to digital and analog simutaneously and let them hear the playback. The reel to reel is quite an eye opener for people used to recording at home to computer through some lame ass digi 001. Most are simply amazed. I play with hi end digital and analog on a daily basis and hi end analog still rules the day although I've grown more fond of digital over the last two years. Note I said hi end analog, cheap analog sucks. Most hi end GOOD studios track to analog, dump to protools, then mix on an analog console.

Amen to that! You should hear the difference between a CDR and a hi end master tape machine with 1/2" tape at 30 ips, or better a 1" machine like the Ampex ATR102. That machine makes everyting else sound like a cassette.

Wait till you have to mixdown to SACD or DVD A. Many great sounding albums were recorded to a 2" tape machine with a big board.

Thank God for digital? No way brother!

Looks like this thread is going to turn into a "Oh, the days of analogue" thread:D

The one thing about tracking to tape and using analog everything is motorized faders. The desks that did have it were/are very expensive and from what I hear very loud.

How do you guys mix on big analog boards with no automated faders? You only have so many hands and fingers!

I grew up in the digital age and this is a question that I have always had.

jonhall5446 said:
O.K another question. Why can't I plug a analog mixer into my digi 001 and assign tracks. Why does it have to be motormix or some other digital hoopla.

You need a physical soundcard output and input for every track that you want to mix on an anlog mixer.

DAW Control Surfaces don't actually pass any audio through them. They are just big remote controls to control the virtual faders on the computer.

sae said:
The one thing about tracking to tape and using analog everything is motorized faders. The desks that did have it were/are very expensive and from what I hear very loud.

How do you guys mix on big analog boards with no automated faders? You only have so many hands and fingers!

I grew up in the digital age and this is a question that I have always had.

I mix on an automated board which is quite handy:D , but in the old days we used to mix by hand and that often took 8 or 10 hands.

But listen to "The Dreaming" by Kate Bush, recorded in 1981 and mixed all by hand. And what an amazing mix that is!

sae said:
What kind of board do you have, and how do you "program" it?

A DDA-AMR 44 in 24 board with Optifile Tetra automation. It has 92 channels when mixing.
http://images.google.com/images?q=DDA-AMR&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.optifile.com/tetra/screen.htm

It's a little difficult to explain how to 'program' the board's automation. If you put the automation in record mode it will register any movement of any fader and mute and will exactly reproduce that movement on the next playback.

You can put a single or a couple of mutes or faders in record and concentrate on those. It's like real time editing. You'll be able to make a perfect mix.

Is the automation something that you added later, or did it come with your board?

It looks to me like you added it later

You can add Optifile to almost any board, it needs little room, just small cards onto the faders and a bunch of flatcables/connectors.

Check the Optifile site link in my former post.

Back