Amp modellers

sausy1981

What do people think of guitar amp modellers, I have the boss br800 and use the COSM effects in that when recording electric guitar, I was thinking of getting the yahmaha thr5 and micing it with an sm7. What do you guys us if an amp isnt an option?

I used the pod x3 and found it was a bit noisy itself. Now I use the simulated speaker out on my spider valve and I love the sound, if I can't mic I find it acceptable but I'll still put a mic on if I can.

I've got an old Digitech RP150. Sounds good. Takes a while to dial in any particular sound, but so does a real amp.

There are lots of threads on amp modelers and such. Lots of comments, both good and bad.

the Yamaha you mentioned is getting really good reviews and probably sounds better than the units mentioned so far since it's newer and modeling is improving almost daily. .... but I wouldn't mic it. First the speakers are dinky ..... just enough so you can play through it without hooking it up to anything. But the unit is meant for recording and has direct outs meant to go straight into a mixer or a puter and comes with software to tweak the sound in the puter.
So no, I wouldn't mic it but yes, that would be a nice unit to have and record with as it's meant for that specific use.

the Yamaha you mentioned is getting really good reviews and probably sounds better than the units mentioned so far since it's newer and modeling is improving almost daily. .... but I wouldn't mic it. First the speakers are dinky ..... just enough so you can play through it without hooking it up to anything. But the unit is meant for recording and has direct outs meant to go straight into a mixer or a puter and comes with software to tweak the sound in the puter.
So no, I wouldn't mic it but yes, that would be a nice unit to have and record with as it's meant for that specific use.
Yeah I really wanna get this yahmaha thr5, gonna do some more reading up on it.

I love my zoom G3....but the three inserts can be limiting...im guessing its big brother, G5, is pretty damned good

I love my zoom G3....but the three inserts can be limiting...im guessing its big brother, G5, is pretty damned good
my rocktron has started glitching out which I can't abide.
So's I gotta replace it.
How's the distortions on that Zoom? Fizzy ? Or not?

I hate fizz ....... :mad:

my rocktron has started glitching out which I can't abide.
So's I gotta replace it.
How's the distortions on that Zoom? Fizzy ? Or not?

I hate fizz ....... :mad:

Im not big on distortion so i couldnt tell you but fizzy doesnt spring to mind...i love the overdrives....if you can try one out...very well built, which for the price, is excellent

Software editors a breeze too

Im not big on distortion so i couldnt tell you but fizzy doesnt spring to mind...i love the overdrives....if you can try one out...very well built, which for the price, is excellent

Software editors a breeze too
cool, thanks man .... and by you don't like distortions do you mean you DO like overdrives? Because when I talk about distortion, to me they're one and the same ...... just differing amounts of it. I understand technically some people might mean the distortion stomboxes that it has models of but I also meant the overdrives which are buzzy and fizzy in a lot of older modelers.
But if you love them then I think I can safely assume they're not fizzy either.

cool, thanks man .... and by you don't like distortions do you mean you DO like overdrives? Because when I talk about distortion, to me they're one and the same ...... just differing amounts of it. I understand technically some people might mean the distortion stomboxes that it has models of but I also meant the overdrives which are buzzy and fizzy in a lot of older modelers.
But if you love them then I think I can safely assume they're not fizzy either.

ah sorry...I thought you meant stomp boxes...no I dont find the overdrives fizzy...I dont have much experience outside of software but I love the Guv'nor in it

there's some clips on Youtube but I dont think they showcase it that well

I've been using Amplitube and the Waves amps as well as Amp Designer in Logic. All do what i need them to do. Amplitube i use exclusively live. Recently, i've been using the Waves amp for my Fiverr gigs that require a bass amp sound because i'm working mostly in Reaper now days. The bass amp models in the Waves package are very, very on.

Back