Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amp to get for marshall sound in a bed room setting

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Well not quite. Yes the impedances should be roughly the same as set on the amplifier but if you ran a 100W valve amp into a 25W Greenback it would be in serious danger. Even a speaker rated AT 100W is not completely safe because almost all 100W valve stages can deliver 30 or 40 W over that figure (depends on mains volts) and a few, including certain Marshall models can hit twice rated power if you drive the tits off them.

My suggestion of the 60W rated Creamback is based on two factors.
    1) Celestion power ratings are conservative (even the Greeny would last quite a while!) and the Creamback has already earned a reputation for toughness.

2) Even 60W in a bedroom into a 100dB/W/mtr speaker is 'king loud! Around 120dB and I doubt peeps could stand it for long.

Dave.
    Right. I always forget about sheer wattage (I'm probably gonna blow up my PBR amp one day)

Thanks
    I have a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 MOSFET pedal.

The tone that comes out of that thing is incredible, especially with both buttons engaged.

I rarely use the gain on my AC30, I just run it clean with the Full-Drive 2 providing the breakup and sustain.
    Click to hear my latest songs I Want To Write A Song and Palm Trees and Eighty Degrees

Thanks

Find a low wattage tube amp like a Bugera or Fender, as long as it has a loop in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ms1995 View Post
    I am going to record a cover of Cliffs of Dover so that is the sound I am going for, I will mic up a marshall with an sm57 but somehow I fell a 100w marshall with a 4x12 is NOT the way to go as it will not give me the sound I want (because it will be too loud for a bedroom and if I have the master way down I just won't get the sound I want). Is a marshall plexi into a 1x12 cab feasible? Should I get a marshall combo amp to mic up? Do I have any idea what I am talking about? What amp do I get!?!?
    Use the pre amp out from the Marshall, and run the line into the power amp input of the low wattage amp, and voila... Marshall sound w/ 1-5 watts of overdriven outputs for a complete tube package.
    You will have to tweak it to the closest to the sound you are looking for, but many HUGE names record with small amps. I am not a big fan of Marshall in general, but I have the Gov’ner pedal and a SS mini stack into an 8” just for that signature sound when needed...
    My 2 cents worth.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBob1962 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Now I am curious about these speaker sims, I will try this for sure.

Thanks
    Rivera Rock Crusher Recording. Load box but not simply 'resistive' it works on 'reactance'....There's a huge difference in the type of output signal from each of these protocols. A resistive load box simply adds a fixed impedance to the speaker output on your amp. This allows you to crank a high-wattage amp but the output stage of a tube amp is much more complicated than just a simple 16/8/4 ohm load.

Reactance follows exactly what the amps' output is doing. The ouput of an amp being driven hard with a music instrument input is constantly varied in it's impedance throughout the frequency range of the instrument being amplified.

The Rock Crusher Recording is also equiped with a 14 band eq and a convenient chart of tested speakers and speaker combinations so you dial up your 30watt Celestion, your EV 12, etc etc...

In the "recording" mode you don't need to use a speaker at all. You record direct to your interface and the volume will be whatever your playback monitors are set on but the sound will be the level of the amp raging through the output tubes and transformer!

I own one. It works. Better than ANY iso-box I've ever built or heard and definitely better than a pedal or an emulation through software....although some of the software is damn close these days!
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    The Reactor type load boxes work best. Two notes has one(or two). The Rivera gold, also the Radial JDX500 Reactor( needs a 500 series box). I’ve tried the two notes (studio), and the JDX. The two notes I used was shortly after it came out. I’m pretty sure it’s has a bunch of upgrades since then. I was looking at DIs wanting to add some color DIs. The Sweetwater rep turned me on to the JDX Edit: ( you’ll still need a load box with the JDX for speaker volume control). I tried it, liked it, and I do use it sometimes. I can get close to a loud amp-mic, and in a dense mix it’s not noticeable but, it’s not the same. Something about getting the right mic, in the sweet spot of the speaker, that’s moving a bit, gets a certain fat percussive tone.

PS I’ve heard an excellent Marshall modded sound, recorded with a mic’d up Friedman Runt 20.
    Last edited by Toastedgoat; 03-13-2019 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Marshall also has a number of recent amps that may be useful. Last year they introduced the Origin series. You can get a nice crunch sound from it when you overdrive it. It has a master volume control so it's very easy to set it up for a clean sound as well, and the character of the amp is very much in the Marshall family. As with a good number of other Marshall amps the thing sounds better when you crank the master up. They come in 50 and 20 watt heads and combos. They have built in power scaling to take you from full power to medium and low settings. On my 50 watt head, the medium power setting is slightly quieter than the full 50 watts. The low power setting is significantly quieter than either of the other two. Low power is sort of bedroom friendly level, but the amp does sound best at full power. The change in tone is more subtle than with other amps that switch between pentode and triode mode on the power tubes to achieve half power. Oh, and the clean sound from the Origin is a thing of beauty.

This year Marshall released two new amp lines, the Studio Classic and the Studio Vintage. 20 watt heads and combos that can switch to a 5 watt mode. The Studio Classic is modeled after a JCM 800 2203. The Studio Vintage is modeled after a JMP 1959 Super Lead Plexi. They look, behave and sound a LOT like their bigger counterparts. They also cost around twice as much quid as an Origin. The Origin does have a bit of Plexi character, but it's really its own thing. The Studio Vintage is a 20/5 watt Plexi. Again, to get the Studio Vintage to sound like a Plexi you have to crank it. In 20 watt mode you would still need an attenuator. In 5 watt mode you can do pub gigs. Not exactly bedroom levels. These are still seriously loud amps.

Speakers and cabs make a huge difference as well.

Roland Blues Cube with the Eric Johnson tone capsule might be another option if you can find one.

Thanks
    I'm going to commit heresy and recommend a solid-state amp. Don't get me wrong, I'm a tube Marshall guy all the way, but tube amps need to be pushed to sound good, and even a 5-watt tube amp is too loud for the bedroom. I like attenuators, too (a Weber MiniMASS in my case), but they can only do so much. Once you turn them down into the weeds, they compromise the tone.

When I need Marshall sound at low volumes, I use a Vox MV50 "Rock" model. It uses Vox's "NuTube" device to get tube sound, then couples it with a 50-watt Class D power amp. The head fits in the palm of your hand. Since the "tube amp" sound is generated in the preamp section, and the volume control simply varies the output of the passively-voiced power amp, it retains its cranked-stack character down to near-zero volume levels.

It also makes a great backup for gigging. Into one or more 12" speakers, the MV50 sounds awesome, makes a serious amount of noise, and takes up no additional space in the car.

For quiet recording at home, I would recommend going direct, using a speaker-modeling direct box (I have an H&K Red Box), or a load dump with software IRs in your computer. My reasoning is, you're likely to get background noise bleeding into your guitar track if you're micing a quiet cab. A direct box takes all the background noise (not to mention a less-than-perfect room) out of the equation.
    "Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone in to the distance. He knows that something somewhere has to break." - Sting

Thanks

Thanks
    That song was recorded with a BK Butler tube driver and Echoplex through a Marshall 100 watt. What I hear on that track are the first two things most importantly. I really think any 1watt tube amp will do or an amp sim. I think the Marshall 100 is least of that guitar sound.

Thread Information