ambient mic in the sweet spot - aaahhhhh

dobro

This is a two-parter. Put an ambient mic in the room's sweet spot, they say. Okay, how do you find the sweet spot, I ask? Move the mic around and listen, they say. Fair enough, I respond.

Part two: how do you listen? When I experiment with mic position, I record a bit or a whole song, and then listen to what I've done (still through headphones - just don't get started on that one, please). But those of you who have honest to god monitors, do you send the mic live through the monitors and then listen to it live as you move the mic around the room?

Recently Gidge has suggested looking into a studio monkey. Here's another situation where one of those little fellas can be indespensible.

As a one man operation, you're already doing just about all you can. Of course you can't move and play at the same time. Also, in a one room operation, you've got to use headphones. You create a feedback loop otherwise, as you have a live mic picking up the sound of the live mic coming from the monitors which are reproducing the sound of monitors being picked up by the live mic...in essence your sound source cannot be the same as your monitor source.

One person-one room recording can be a real pain in the ass.

What about a control room and a seprate drum (studio) room? You would need "two" studio monkeys, one to play and one to move the mics around while you listen in the control room. This is almost IMPOSSIBLE to do buy yourself......or is it??

Back