akg 414 - neuman u87

davecg321

Hi all...

I am going to be hiring out both of these microphones for a week. I plan to record 8 songs, using the u87 on vocals whilst simultaneously recording whichever instrument I am playing on for that particular song.

what would be the best miking technique for guitar, ukulele, banjo, and classical guitar? My aim is to remain as consistent as possible throughout. My room is about 20x15 ft and is sound treated using acoustic tiles, the room is not completely 'dead' as it were and still retains some natural ambience. I will be running both mics into a art pro mpa ii preamp - firestudio project - cubase 5

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

First and foremost, I would certainly rent out some nice preamps as long as you're going this route.

Otherwise, you really need to do whatever is best for the song. When I see "tiles" I usually assume "foam" and that usually means "low end problems" so I'd probably find a spot about 8' down the long wall and 6' from the short wall to set up a mic and sing/play towards the opposing spot of the room (putting you/instrument maybe 6.5' down the long wall and 4.5' from the short wall). For starters... But I don't know that room, so it might be a terrible idea.

But if you start with the guitar and see how it works, it could potentially be a starting point for the other instruments.

One trick is to put on some good headphones and move the mic around listening thru the headphones for the sweet spots. I like using my 414 for acc. Usually between the whole and neck 3-5" away. However aiming the 414 down and put it right over the acc 1-3". It would be about right under the players chin.Some say this gets a natural sound. It,s not far from the players ears.Try the u87 by the bridge. Switch mic positions. One of my clients like my u87 on acc. I think it,s too dull. Mando mic about 1 foot away and 6" higher and have it pointing slightly down.
good luck.

Back