Advice on Panning

drpez

I'm recording my band on ProTools 6.7 and I was curious if anyone new a good starting point for how things in a hard rock/progressive band should be panned. Here's what I'm dealing with:

-Bass Drum
-Hi-Hat
-Snare (top & bottom)
-3 rack toms
-2 floor toms
-2 overheads
-rhythm guitar
-lead guitar
-bass guitar
-backup vocals
-lead vocals
-various keyboards (some lead, some ambient)

I understand that a great deal of this is a matter of personal preference, but I'm just looking for some sort of framework or things that have worked well for other folks. Thanks in advance.

drpez said:
I'm recording my band on ProTools 6.7 and I was curious if anyone new a good starting point for how things in a hard rock/progressive band should be panned. Here's what I'm dealing with:

-Bass Drum
-Hi-Hat
-Snare (top & bottom)
-3 rack toms
-2 floor toms
-2 overheads
-rhythm guitar
-lead guitar
-bass guitar
-backup vocals
-lead vocals
-various keyboards (some lead, some ambient)

I understand that a great deal of this is a matter of personal preference, but I'm just looking for some sort of framework or things that have worked well for other folks. Thanks in advance.

I think the best thing you can do is listen to some of your favorite cds (with headphones) and hear how they have panned things. Here are some general tips:

Drums - drums are usually panned according to the layout of the kit, either from the drummer's perspective or the audience. Snare and kick are generally centered and all the others panned accordingly.

Rhythm guitars - usually panned out of center to varying degrees. Getting them out of the middle makes some sonic space for the lead vocal.

Lead Guitar - usu centered, though certainly not always.

Bass - almost always centered.

Lead vocal - almost always centered unless doubled. doubled vocals may be panned to opposite sides, etc.

Background vocals - often panned away from center or in a panoramic-type thing with some left, some right, and some centered.

scrubs said:
I think the best thing you can do is listen to some of your favorite cds (with headphones) and hear how they have panned things. Here are some general tips:

Drums - drums are usually panned according to the layout of the kit, either from the drummer's perspective or the audience. Snare and kick are generally centered and all the others panned accordingly.

Rhythm guitars - usually panned out of center to varying degrees. Getting them out of the middle makes some sonic space for the lead vocal.

Lead Guitar - usu centered, though certainly not always.

Bass - almost always centered.

Lead vocal - almost always centered unless doubled. doubled vocals may be panned to opposite sides, etc.

Background vocals - often panned away from center or in a panoramic-type thing with some left, some right, and some centered.

Thanks Scrubs, that's exactly what I was looking for. Take it easy man.

Only thing I could add is: rules are made to be broken! If it sounds good, do it!

Back