For acoustic guitar + vocals, best option for mics/channnels of these four?

Chelonian

I'm considering which audio interface to buy and wondering if I should get one with two mic inputs rather than just one. This would be for recording acoustic guitar + singing. I already have a simple mixer that could take in two mics (I actually own three and it has 4 inputs) and output one XLR cord with the sound from both.

Seems like my options would be:

1. One mic: Sing and play guitar at the same time recorded by one mic into one channel.
  2. One mic: Play guitar first and record it. Then sing to that track afterward.
  3. Two mics: Sing and play guitar at the same time recorded by two mics but entering the interface on one channel (due to the mixer between mics and interface).
  4. Two mics: Sing and play guitar at the same time recorded by two mics but entering the interface on two separate channels.

I think I prefer to sing and play guitar at the same time; the timing is probably better that way. But I could also sing to a guitar track, and have done so.

Of the four options above, is one method the preferable one?

What I'm wondering is how worth it is it to get an audio interface with two mic-ins for this purpose? It's maybe $70-$130 more depending on what interface I get. I can afford that difference, but I want it to be worth it.

Last edited:
Any of the above would work. It depends on (a) what you are most comfortable doing, and (b) how much separation you want to get between voice and guitar.

In any case, you have more options with two mic inputs, and that's what I would recommend.

Get the interface with 2 mic preamps - you may want to record the guitar with 2 mics at some point.
I certainly understand option 4 - I've found I struggled with timing on some songs when only playing guitar (first). But option 2 means you don't have to worry about mic bleed, so is the preferred method.

I would never buy a single channel interface. Its too much of a limitation. You don't always have to use both channels of a two channel interface, or even an 8 channel interface. BUT the first time you want to use two mics, and you only have a single input, you realize what a bad choice it was.

FWIW, I have 8 mic inputs on everything I use except the Zoom H4n, which still has two external mic inputs in addition to the two internal mics.

Personally, whenever I try to do this kind of thing, I record both at the same time, then replace the voice using the guitar as the 'key', then I replace the guitar - that way you can edit and process and tweak them separately. There will be very few times when you can't find something to improve and of course as most interfaces are two channel anyway, I'd buy one of those. I have 8 XLR inputs on mine - and usually just one is connected. When I do need more, they are there. One would be a real limitation to versatility.

Back