Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I thought I may add to this sticky thread, if thats OK, this may have been covered before but there are 21 pages so I did not read them all LOL.

I usually record acoustic guitar with 1 or 2 mics around the 12 fret, sometimes 2 x condensers sometimes a condenser and a ribbon, usually both pointing towards the 12th fret and primarily to capture the sound with 2 different sounding mics so I can do a bit of blending later for tone. I as a rule don't record stereo acoustics as it is usually going into a mix with other instruments so the stereo does not fit for me.

However last night I was recording a solo flamenco guitarist, so I decided to try the M/S (mid/side) mic technique. I have attached a video I found to show you the setup. Gee it sounded good.

I used a AKG C4000B as the cardioid mic and because I did not have 2 mics the same with figure 8 I used a CAD Tron 8000 as the figure 8. I did try using a fathead ribbon but the low gain caused by being a ribbon mic and the fact it was recording from the null point of the pattern, I was getting a little hiss on the pres due to gain needed for the quiet guitar passages.

Another thing I did different to the video was that I actually sent the figure 8 mic to 2 pres and switched one of them out of phase, so therefore recoding 3 tracks of audio, cardiod / figure 8 in phase / figure 8 out of phase. This allowed me to check the sound before I hit record in case I did not like it. It also fits my workflow better as I use pres into a 24 track hard disk recorder.

Anyway I hope it gives you guys another experiment to try.

Cheers
    Alan.

Thanks
    Thanks, man. You've been helpful.

Thanks
    just a mic 10 cm from the 12th fret, I've been working like this for years
    Idan Altman - Producer and Mastering Engineer
    www.idanaltman.com

Thanks

acoustic recording

to the OP,

nice tutorial, good thing you didnot have any phase issues with this setup?

Thanks
    Very nice , I think I need to do more double tracking .. I would like to here more about "over the shoulder" recording . I've been thinking about it for awhile , trying to get the same sound I hear while I'm playing without headphones. Good job . Thanks.... MS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark skinner View Post
    Very nice , I think I need to do more double tracking .. I would like to here more about "over the shoulder" recording . I've been thinking about it for awhile , trying to get the same sound I hear while I'm playing without headphones. Good job . Thanks.... MS
    You need to be able to be pretty still with anything where the mic isn't pointed fairlly straight on to the guitar, so, personally, I never try over-the-shoulder. Plus, what you hear is probably a lot more room than you realize because your own ears aren't aimed at the guitar.

MS may be the better option if you want something more like what you hear, but it's going to be best in a good room. I've got too many outside and inside noises to contend with, never mind my own shuffling and huffing, in a less than ideal room, so 1 or 2 relatively close mics works best for me.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Rather than getting too complicated, if you have a decent room, all you really have to do is stick a mic about anywhere in front of the guitar. Here's something that was literally a thrown together, one/first take of me and a friend standing up in front of mics connected to my Zoom F8.

AT4051a on the left guitar, ATM450 on the right. Absolutely no test recording done - I just looked at the levels to make sure it wasn't clipping. Recording done in our "family room" which is fairly normal size for these parts but a good size room, open all over and a vaulted ceiling. There's a sofa and couple chairs for room treatment .
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Very nice job. I especially liked this because I happen to love that song, and have from the first moment i heard it by Eric Bibb. You guys are the only ones I've heard do a cover of that...except me! Lol. Charles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to silvercn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes sirs......very very nice job!!! Well done. I noticed that your friend (on the right) moved his guitar position away from the mic a few times. It seems like he used that like a singer would to control volume and some tone.........and I thought it worked very well.

Thanks for the listen!!
    Just A Song Writer..........

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice. I can never get this nice quality sound when I record. Mine just comes out too thin, when i boost the signal it just gets too distorted.
    Yours sounds like it's surround-sound, nice and full

Thread Information