Acoustic drum setup for Sample replacement (Trigger 2)

Codeseven

If your planning on using samples to replace your drums, should that be kept in mind when setting up the kit. For example, the drums you plan on replacing with a sample, shouldn’t you think of it more as a trigger rather than a perfectly tuned resonating drum? Wouldn’t it be better if there were little resonance so that when a gate is used to reduce bleed a more defined hit could be created for accurate triggering. I plan on using Oxford Drum Gate, to clean up say, a snare track, and then send it to Slate Trigger 2 for replacement samples. I want the hits to be as defined as possible for trigger accuracy, so I’m not worried about tone or resonance, correct? Thanks

If your planning on using samples to replace your drums, should that be kept in mind when setting up the kit. For example, the drums you plan on replacing with a sample, shouldn’t you think of it more as a trigger rather than a perfectly tuned resonating drum? Wouldn’t it be better if there were little resonance so that when a gate is used to reduce bleed a more defined hit could be created for accurate triggering. I plan on using Oxford Drum Gate, to clean up say, a snare track, and then send it to Slate Trigger 2 for replacement samples. I want the hits to be as defined as possible for trigger accuracy, so I’m not worried about tone or resonance, correct? Thanks

As long as your overhead mic doesn’t interfere with the sound you’re trying to achieve with the triggers, I guess your way of thinking isn’t a bad one.

Thank you Crows, just thinking of the drums in a different way for a specific use.

In this instance, you would essentially just be a loud electric drum kit with the triggers, except for the overhead mic. That changes things. The cymbals would be fine but I’m just wondering if your out of tune toms will conflict with the trigger.

I use Slate triggers all the time. If you havent yet used them you should consider reading more about what you can do with them.

For one.....You will be able to filter ALL crosstalk from open mic captures in each kik,snr,tom hit.

You will be able to blend the acoustic sound with the triggered sample in percentages. Of course this lets back in crosstalk to a small amount but you CAN make this part of the percussive sound of the kit. Or not.

If you decide to go 100% triggered sample, you can adjust all the parameters of every drum hit. Sustain, velocity, attack, etc etc....

You can import other drum libraries and select sounds from them as your vst. This is a tricky move and its a painintheass.

All of the information you need for aligning things is going to contained in the overheads. Make those toms hit as they do in the room and overhead mics and things get huge real quick. No blur.

Now here's a secret. I have made a drum demo for a potential client (they went with someone else.....they were going to be pains anyway) using Trigger2 and a couple of cardboard boxes. And then set up a couple of my studio brass and played the cymbals onto the track. I coulda put midi superior drummer in or played them by hand on the old Zoom machine, but I was experimenting. The Trigger2 has VST samples to access. A variety of toms, kick drums, snares....even crossticks...or rimshots. So the demo sounded like a full drum kit with me simply hitting the boxes a couple of time each for each drum I wanted it to be. Then built a beat for 8 bars, added a fill and an ending. rinse repat done. Yeah. You cant tell.

Hi cavedog, thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I’m confused by your initial statement ‘I use Slate triggers all the time’. Are you referring to Slate’s Trigger 2, or Slate Drums (SSD)?

I’ve been using Trigger 2 for awhile but my only gripe has been bleed and false triggering. Though not horrible, I’m still trying to gate it ‘all’ out. Especially difficult is the snare with its contrasting high velocity hits and low velocity ghost notes.

Since sampling is what I like doing, I thought about purchasing SSD. As far as triggering the samples using my acoustic kit I believe that would take either electronic trigger attached to each drum or converting hits to MIDI either thru the DAW or Trigger 2.

Honestly if you are replacing everything, the only thing that you need is something that has plenty of attack. Doesn't have to be a drum. Just something percussive. Sticks hitting sticks, anything.

Back