Achieving an acoustic guitar recording like Sufjan Steven's Carrie And Lowell

elijam

Hi,

So I'm in the process of a tracking a new record, I'm aiming for it to be a delicate, soft sounding and entirely acoustic kind of album. I'm very intrigued by the sound of the acoustic guitars on Sufjan Steven's, Carrie and Lowell (I can't post a link become I'm new but it's on youtube and Spotify), it sounds super tightly double tracked and I was wondering, could anybody figure out if these were recorded to a click track, or if he must just be very adept at overdubbing to his own metronome free playing?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

He has the two parts hard-panned apart, which helps cover up some timing errors.

On the title track, the digital percussion suggests it was probably done to a click.

And I think one of those guitars might be a banjo.

He has the two parts hard-panned apart, which helps cover up some timing errors.

On the title track, the digital percussion suggests it was probably done to a click.

And I think one of those guitars might be a banjo.

Cheers! I thought that too. I'm forever trying to achieve a balance between a natural sounding performance and a really tight performance, I'll seek out some new techniques! Thanks for your insight.

Back