Absorption and Diffusion

RVLVNGDRS

What are some effective methods of absorbing or diffusing sounds when recording, without spending 600$ on an Auralex pack?

Thanks to those who take their time to type in the answer to my question.

Very general guidelines in a nutshell:

Hard/smooth = Reflective
Soft/thick = Absorbtive
Irregular (>1"<6" features) surface = Diffusive

Couches, bookcases and rolls of insulation (kept rolled) work great for absorbtion and diffusion.

Eliminate parallel surfaces where possible to reduce reflection and reverb.

Use a mirror to determine the line of sight locations for first reflections between your sound source(s) and your ears on all 6 walls and surfaces. Place an absorber or diffuser at those spots.

Egg cartons are good for storing eggs and great as fire hazards, but close to useless as acoustic treatment. Keep them in the fridge and out of the sound room.

A totally dead room usually sounds worse than a partially live one. Deaden/disperse the bad reflections but don't deaden everything (many vocal booths excluded.)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Egg cartons are good for storing eggs and great as fire hazards, but close to useless as acoustic treatment. Keep them in the fridge and out of the sound room.

Great line!!

Benny,

> anyone else having problems with Ethan's site? <

Yes, it's been down since yesterday. Long story. It should be back up soon. At least I sure hope so! :D

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
Benny,

> anyone else having problems with Ethan's site? <

Yes, it's been down since yesterday. Long story. It should be back up soon. At least I sure hope so! :D

--Ethan

cool, thanks. :)

> Did it have anything to do with that awesome cello video? :D <

Exactly, and thanks for the plug. My video has gotten so much attention lately that the traffic shut down my site completely for a few days. At one point thousands of people were trying to view it at the same time! My web host thought my site was being attacked by hackers, even though it was all legitimate traffic. That page on my site is now up again:

www.ethanwiner.com/rondo.html

But now there are links to four other sites who are hosting it.

--Ethan

that's really cool, Ethan. I really like the song...not to mention totally impressed as to how much effort went into making all of that. :)

Back