Ableton not receiving audio signal from Focusrite interface

bobbenson

Hi all, I need just a quick fix here! I'm working with Ableton Live 8 on a MacBook Pro purchased new in '09. My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I'm not at all what you would call an experienced recording artist, and to top that off I've been on about a year long hiatus since using this piece of gear, so I'm at a loss as to how to record through this thing via Ableton! First of all, I've viewed the YouTube video put online by Focusrite about setting up Ableton with the interface, and I followed that exactly, but something still isn't right. My mic is plugged into Input 1 of the interface, and I'm getting a signal on the interface itself and in Saffire MixControl, but the audio channel in Ableton is not picking anything up, and when I look at my MacBook sound preferences, Saffire Firewire is highlighted as the input but no signal is being received there either. Also, here is the kicker, I've had the interface working in the past as I've recorded guitar direct into Ableton with it, I just can't remember how I got it to work then... There has to be a simple solution to this, can somebody please help me out?

Hi all, I need just a quick fix here! I'm working with Ableton Live 8 on a MacBook Pro purchased new in '09. My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I'm not at all what you would call an experienced recording artist, and to top that off I've been on about a year long hiatus since using this piece of gear, so I'm at a loss as to how to record through this thing via Ableton! First of all, I've viewed the YouTube video put online by Focusrite about setting up Ableton with the interface, and I followed that exactly, but something still isn't right. My mic is plugged into Input 1 of the interface, and I'm getting a signal on the interface itself and in Saffire MixControl, but the audio channel in Ableton is not picking anything up, and when I look at my MacBook sound preferences, Saffire Firewire is highlighted as the input but no signal is being received there either. Also, here is the kicker, I've had the interface working in the past as I've recorded guitar direct into Ableton with it, I just can't remember how I got it to work then... There has to be a simple solution to this, can somebody please help me out?

Make sure your IO view is turned on, select ex. in in the audio from, select your channel, make sure monitor is either in or auto (In is always on, Auto is on when record is on). See if that works.

This assumes you have set up the preferences/Audio and have that all sorted out.

Hope this helps.

Make sure your IO view is turned on, select ex. in in the audio from, select your channel, make sure monitor is either in or auto (In is always on, Auto is on when record is on). See if that works.

This assumes you have set up the preferences/Audio and have that all sorted out.

Hope this helps.

My IO view is on, and I have all 16 available Input channels activated in Ableton Audio Preferences. Ext. In is selected, yet when I click the drop down menu to select a channel, none of the channels seem to be picking up a signal. For instance, I'm snapping my fingers into the mic, and the meter on my interface is rising, indicating that there is no problem with the mic itself or the connection, and the meters in the Saffire Mix Control program are rising, indicating that the signal is being picked up by the MacBook, however the channels in Ableton are giving me nothing... I can't seem to figure out what the problem is here, and like I said, I've had this setup working before, it's just escaping me now how to set it up again.

My IO view is on, and I have all 16 available Input channels activated in Ableton Audio Preferences. Ext. In is selected, yet when I click the drop down menu to select a channel, none of the channels seem to be picking up a signal. For instance, I'm snapping my fingers into the mic, and the meter on my interface is rising, indicating that there is no problem with the mic itself or the connection, and the meters in the Saffire Mix Control program are rising, indicating that the signal is being picked up by the MacBook, however the channels in Ableton are giving me nothing... I can't seem to figure out what the problem is here, and like I said, I've had this setup working before, it's just escaping me now how to set it up again.

Are you getting a test tone or any sound out of Ableton? I think there is an issue with your setup in preferences. But first confirm you are getting sound to the Saffire from Ableton (you can use the test tone).

It is going to be something simple, and I suggest start from the beginning as if it were a new install to make sure everything is correct.

I'm having the same issue with my saffire pro24DSP. I can confirm that audio in being sent from interface to saffire mix but audio is not being received in my ableton live 11 audio track even with suggested input selections. My audio interface is properly setup both input and output. I suspect this is a saffire mix output routing issue? Did anyone able to fix this?

I found the solution to this.
Under Mac OS, apple icon/ system preferences /security&privacy / scroll down and select microphone under the left pane/on the right pane, make sure you check ableton live.
Ableton Live's Microphone recording should be allowed.

Back