$500 mic suggestions

Resoman

I'd like to settle on a decent mic for recording acoustic guitar and Dobro, and my budget is about $500. This is a very broad question, I realize, but I'd like to hear from some folks with experience recording acoustic instrument, thanks!

People often ask for mike recommendations, and then get flooded with everybody else's personal preferences. I might as well start the ball rolling. I have no hesitation in suggesting the black Rode NT1. This is a re-engineered version of Rode's first NT1, and is a quiet, versatile, but smooth and silky mike. For vocals I prefer it over my AKG C414,which cost about five times more. I also prefer it over the AT 853 which I used to use for instruments (particularly violin).

Last edited:
Add an SM57 (for the dobro) and you probably have a solution, though I would probably want to know more about the kind of acoustic guitar recording you're doing. For solo acoustic guitar, particularly fingerstyle, I think there might be a slight majority that would go to a pair of SDCs (RØDE NT5s come to mind).

The SM57 for the dobro, maybe in conjunction with a condenser, but the reality is you're micing a [metal] speaker cone and a good dynamic will do a bang-up job.

Does anyone offer the black NT1 mic only.. not bundled as a kit? New, not used.

I was going to say yes, but having had a quick look, it seems the new NT1 comes in either a kit including shockmount and pop filter, or a kit including mount, filter and rode interface.

I'd go for the basic kit . . . the extras always come in handy.

Thanks for your thoughts! The black NT1 seems to be available from B&H.
What think ye of the Rode NT4 stereo mic for an acoustic string instrument? I've heard some people rave about this one...

I've got the NT1 and like it a lot for acoustic guitar and vocals. Its probably the most natural sounding mic in my case. I've also got the M5 matched pair that I have used on acoustic guitar. The M5 is a bit light in the bottom end, which works well with a dreadnought guitar.

I picked up a pair of Lauten LA120s a few months back but haven't really given them a workout. The nice thing about the Lautens is that you get both cardioid and omni capsules for the pair. They also have both high and low cut filters.

I've also got an AKG P170, and really should get a second. Its really a decent sounding mic for $100. I'm just watching for when GC/MF has a 15 or 20% off sale.

A friend of mine has an NT4. He used it to do a stereo recording of a live set, and it sounded pretty good. I don't think I would use it for close micing a guitar or dobro. I don't really use x/Y for close micing.

interesting Dobro quest... I have no clue, but this got me searching and reading on Dobro's and recording, and a few distracted with some choice video and music recordings...:)

seems the mic selections are all over the place on this instrument from Dynamics, to SDC's and LDC...and Ribbons! that covers the entire mic world! for the Dobro. I'd like to hear some samples if you can post them as you choose your mic.

:eatpopcorn:

Thanks for your thoughts! The black NT1 seems to be available from B&H.
What think ye of the Rode NT4 stereo mic for an acoustic string instrument? I've heard some people rave about this one...

I just acquired an NT4 a couple of months ago and it's a really nice microphone. It is two NT5 capsules on a single mic. But for studio recording, you lose flexibility with a stereo mic. You'd be better off with a pair of NT5s because you could space the mics however you wanted for stereo, or use them on two different instruments if you are recording each with a single mic. You'll also save money with the NT5s. A matched pair of RØDE NT5s is a hundred dollars less than an NT4. I use my NT4 for concert and SFX recordings on location because it's easier to set up and is more compact than carrying two separate microphones.

People often ask for mike recommendations, and then get flooded with everybody else's personal preferences

I'd like to settle on a decent mic for recording acoustic guitar and Dobro....This is a very broad question, I realize, but I'd like to hear from some folks with experience recording acoustic instrument
I've never yet come across a mic that didn't make an acoustic guitar sound like.....an acoustic guitar.
But the mics on some phones succeed in this incredible feat !

Back