Thread: $50 Audio Interface?

Thanks

$50 Audio Interface?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was kinda set on buying the AT2020 USB I now understand the importance of having an interface instead thanks to you guys Is it possible that I can find an audio interface for $50? My budget is super tight as a college student and yes, I couldn't find the fast track 2 on craigslist in my area for $35.

Thanks
    The first generation M-Audio Fast Track is on eBay for less than $50.

Thanks
    Keep searching ebay and your local craigslist. In the meantime, try to save some more money.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    used fastracks, used maudio firewire solo...those would be my top two choices.

why do you want an interface instead of the usb mic? I've heard some pretty decent recordings from a USB AT2020. And, if you're just going to get a cheap interface with one or two inputs, you might be just as well off getting the AT 2020 and getting a better interface in the future.
    Ron Paul 2012

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayr82 View Post
    The first generation M-Audio Fast Track is on eBay for less than $50.
    Ahh, but it's not phantom powered =/

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcoleman View Post
    used fastracks, used maudio firewire solo...those would be my top two choices.

why do you want an interface instead of the usb mic? I've heard some pretty decent recordings from a USB AT2020. And, if you're just going to get a cheap interface with one or two inputs, you might be just as well off getting the AT 2020 and getting a better interface in the future.
    I figured that if I bought the XLR AT2020, I'd be able to use the same mic later on if I ever change interfaces, and use the same interface for other mics. Also, if I'm not mistaken, sound from the interface > sound from a built in USB, right? I just don't want to end up spending money again on an interface that I was gonna buy anyway.

An option I was considering was buying the Blue Icicle (that way I can keep the XLR for later), but I'm not sure if it's worth the shot because reviews have been all over the place for it. Do you guys think it's something to consider in my situation?

Thanks
    I think I'm gonna end up buying the Icicle for now. I think it's quite decent based on the comparison video I heard (by "ThatSnazzyiPhoneGuy" on youtube), and I'd rather spend $40 then replace it with a better interface instead of spending $80-100 on an interface that I'd eventually outgrow (as aaronmcoleman has put into perspective). That could be money for a shock mount lol. Thanks for the help though!

Thanks
    I bought a Fast Track II (w/phantom power) from CL for $35. Take your time....look and you'll find one.

Thanks
    I've got a firewire solo I've used for years in mobile situations. It's great and I've seen them on CL for $30-75 every day (in the LA area). That would be my first choice for a cheapy...reliable, well built, simple drivers, decent pres (though only 50db of gain so ribbons and low output condensors won't work well).

I see you're point about not wanting to shell out again later. My advice would be get the regular (non-USB) mic, and look for a cheapy interface. If the icicle will work with the regular mic, go for it...you'll likely want an interface one day and the mic will still work.
    Ron Paul 2012

Thread Information