4 Track Blues - Tascam 424 MKII

alfugazi

I have the option of using 2 - 4 tracks strung together and would like to record drums as well as other instruments simultaneously. What I dont understand is how I would do this.....Do I Record drums on one 4 track and use the sub input on another? Then How do I route the signal path from the sub input to 1 track on the mixer where I am recording all other instruments? Any suggestions anyone have would be most appreciated.

Yo Alfugazi:>

If you want to record drums plus other instruments, you need a mic for the drums plugged into a track; then, another mic for a horn plugged into a track; then, another mic for keys plugged into a track; that leaves you one track left for vocal or bass.

With only four tracks, you would need to bounce some tracks if you want to add more.

Suggest you read the manual for your recorder. Usually they "get started" part of the manual is in English; the rest of the manual is usually written in hyroglyphics dating back to the the first engineering school at Padua University. Ugly stuff.

You can record a couple of items on one mic but then the tweaking of the track before mixing gets muddy -- too much sound on the track and that makes it harder to get a nice clean and clear sound.

Next time you buy, get at least an 8 track and then you can do a drum track and over-dub until you get what you want.

Keep twiddling the dials,

Green Hornet

I've found that you can get some pretty cool sounding stuff down with a 4 track, depending on what you're shooting for. For the most part, don't expect to record your album on it uless you're Guided By Voices or something. For an interesting rough n' tumble kinda recording, set up 2 room mics and get your band to play. Record a bit, stop, listen back, adjust levels accordingly, try again. It usually works out to a lot of trial and error but in the end you can end up with a good garage rock kinda sound. Once you get the mix how you like it, record the song. I usually just record the instruments first and use the 2 remaining tracks for vocals and overdubs like solos or Vincent Price monologues or whatever. The less bouncing you have to do, the better. When I first got my 4 track, I bounced tracks into oblivion and ended up with tinny, noisy, poorly mixed garbage.
I'm using a Tascam Porta 5 that'll only record on 2 tracks at once. If yours operates like mine, you can run 4 mics in and record on tracks 3 & 4. All inputs will end up as a streo mix on 3 & 4.
I've got 16 tracks of Adat to work with but sometimes it's fun to work within the limitations of the 4 track. It works well if you want to kick out the jams and lay down some rock, or RAWK. If you're expecting to sound like the yer fave Pearl Jam record forget it. If you want to lay down some low fi goodness, go crazy. Check out Ween's first albums, Thee Headcoats or most of the bands on the Estrus label.
Eventually you'll probably make the jump to more trax but while you've got 4, have fun, experiment and try not to make things too complicated. There'll be time for that later...
Sludgehammer

Right on, a fellow Headcoats fan! I heard they're breaking up after only 10 albums or something, what a lazy bastard that Billy Childish is. Have you heard the Von Zippers or the Mants? Good garage squeezin's from my home town.
sludgehammer

Thanks for all the replies. I may have not have asked my question clear enough after an initial reading. This is the deal. I've got 2 tape machines which happen to be 4 tracks. I'd like to record drum tracks on 1 tape machine while on the other I would like to record other instruments. The other instruments will be recorded direct via a direct box or a balanced xlr connection.

I guess what I'd like to know is how exactly I would take the output from the tape machine that I recorded drums with and route that signal into the other tape machine into 1 track.

As far as expectations - Hey I'm a realist. I dont expect to record an album this way, although Sgt Peppers was all recorded on a 4 track......My goal is just to make some decent demo tapes I can take around and get some gigs with. Nothing more nothing less.
Anyways, hope you guys can help. I really appreciate your time and consideration.

Back