32 Bit Integer Recording Resolution Anyone ?

The noise floor of 24 bit recording is 144dB. Now, I have read reviews of hundreds of AIs and similar systems in the last 15 years and I cannot recall any getting more than a dB or two better than 120dB?

The noise output of the ubiquitous NE5532 (a common but very good IC) configured as a unity gain UNbalanced input is about -120dBu. Configured as a BALanced input it will be some 14dB noisier. Later, MUCH more expensive op amps will only improve that by a dB or two.

It is very difficult to make a balanced line input AS quiet as an unbalanced one.

I understand there are very good reasons for using 32 bits INTERNALLY but for interfacing with the real world, even 24 bits is an overkill.

Dave.

I agree with this. I think a good RMS level for recording is -18 dBFS, which is equivalent to the headroom on analog gear when 0VU = +4dBU and max output is 22 dBU (22-4 = 18), which is pretty common on lots of analog gear.

Doing the math, -18dBFS is equivalent to having an RMS level of about 21 bit audio, assuming 24 bit recording. In this case, that still implies a dynamic range of about 126 dB - as good or better than basically any piece of analog gear at any price.

Back