[SOLVED] AT-2020 XLR mic too loud?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I'm setting up my AT-2020 XLR mic for some recording. It's on a boom stand with a pop screen, plugged into my Tascam US-2x2 interface. I've got phantom power on and the gain is fully counter-clockwise.. low as it goes. Singing at a normal level several inches from the mic, Reaper's fader meters read -18dBFS to -12dBFS. Looks great, and playback volume is good, no problem there.

Turning up the gain on the interface to about the 9:00-10:00 position really pumps it up quickly and easily clips. There is no pad on the mic or interface. Is this a normal situation for some LDC mics? Is my interface contributing?

This is not a problem, just curious about it's performance.

Last edited:
Condenser mics typically produce more output that dynamics, so it's pretty normal to have to run your gain lower if you're at the same kind of distances. As long as you're not clipping the mic's internal circuits and you can turn your preamp gain low enough, you should be good to go. Many better condensers have pads built in because it is possible to clip their internal circuits with high volumes, but I doubt a vocal will be a problem.

The Audio Technica isn't a particularly "hot" mic. The AT2020 has a sensitivity of -37dB. I record with my NT1 into my 16x08 with the gain set about 9:00 on the mic input. The sensitivity of the NT1 is -29dB which is quite a bit hotter. It has no pad either.

In the interface software it looks like there is a setting for input volume. You might try a different setting there. The 16x08 has a full mixer page, with 16 faders, so I can drop the signal there if I need to. I guess the input pot could always be a bit flakey. Does it do that on both channels?

How close are you getting to the mic? I try to record at least 10-12" away, and like to aim it down from about forehead level. When I try getting too close, its seems my vocals are just too "immediate". I like them better when I back off a bit.

Thank you. The interface software does indeed have a fader for each input.. they were at max which produced the same volume from both inputs. I lowered the software fader and that did the trick - I was able to raise the interface gain to get a solid green light without clipping.

Before, as I was setting it up, I was about 3 inches from the mic. I don't plan on tracking there, was that close because my voice is weak right now. The mic is upright as I address the front.

I tried it with the new setting at 12 inches away and it worked fine but picked up way too much room and outside noise, which I will isolate later.

I'm setting up my AT-2020 XLR mic for some recording. It's on a boom stand with a pop screen, plugged into my Tascam US-2x2 interface. I've got phantom power on and the gain is fully counter-clockwise.. low as it goes. Singing at a normal level several inches from the mic, Reaper's fader meters read -18dBFS to -12dBFS. Looks great, and playback volume is good, no problem there.

Turning up the gain on the interface to about the 9:00-10:00 position really pumps it up quickly and easily clips. There is no pad on the mic or interface. Is this a normal situation for some LDC mics? Is my interface contributing?

This is not a problem, just curious about it's performance.

IME the better the mic, the less preamp is needed. Don't be afraid to pull the input trim way down. As a matter of fact i would start as low as possible and work your way up until you get the best signal to noise. The less preamp gain the more the mic seems to speak i find.

I am a bit confused here chaps? I don't have any Tascam kit but unless the AIs have DIGITAL mic gain control I don't see how you can stop a hot capacitor mic from clipping the front end?

If OP cannot back off a bit (maybe a very bad room? Noises off?) maybe an inline 10dB XLR attenuator is indicated? Would put the gain control in a 'better place' to boot.

Dave.

Dave,

I don't think he was clipping the interface input. The interface allows you to adjust the digital signal going to the computer from the AI, as well as a physical gain pot on the front. I'm sure it uses the same preamps as my interface, and as I said, I don't have an issue with an NT1 which is some 8dB hotter than the 2020. The interface mic inputs spec at a maximum input level of 1.9v with the gain set to minimum, so I'm sure the AT isn't overdriving the input.

Back