1st Try Live Recording Session

My last plea for help was very successful, and I get paid by the hour, so I thought I’d open this one up to the floor.

In a couple weeks my grown-up, garage, blues-rock band will be recording in a 1,400 seat theater. We’ll have no audience and we’ll be recording/engineering all by ourselves. Basically, we’re taking a rare opportunity to record a “live” EP in an awesome setting.
Thus far, our recordings have all come from our practice space. This will be our 1st real attempt at a quality recording. I’ve been learning a lot as we practice, but I’m still pretty wet behind the ears. I’d love to hear thoughts/tips/ideas/concerns/opinions as we’ll only get one shot at this.

Disclaimers before you unload on me: We’re going to record ‘live’ and only overdub some solos and backup vocals. My drummer doesn’t feel comfortable playing to a click. We can’t afford to buy more hardware for this project.

I’m recording through a Tascam-1641 interface to Sonar X2. We have 14 available channels (10 with preamps).

Vocals : 58 directly into a 1641 preamp
Harmonica: 5W amp with a 57 directly into a 1641 preamp
Guitar: Mesa with a 906 (on a stand, not dangling) directly into a 1641 preamp
Bass: Balanced output from amp to 1641
Kick: CAD kick mic directly into a 1641 preamp
Snare: CAD drum mic directly into a 1641 preamp. (We may have a spare 57 and replace)
3 Toms: CAD drum mic to 1641
Hi-Hat: 57 directly into a 1641 preamp
2 Overheads: CAD Condensers directly into a 1641 preamp
2 Room mics: Both condensers (a Shure and AT I believe) directly into a 1641 preamp

The plan is to set up a house PA for vocals, harmonica, and maybe guitar. We’ll have 1 (maybe 2) stage monitors.

Thoughts?
-j

I am a little confused. You are going to have a board, so are you going to split the mics between the board (vocals, harmonica, and maybe guitar) and the 1641? Could you just not come off the board into the 1641?

I am a little confused. You are going to have a board, so are you going to split the mics between the board (vocals, harmonica, and maybe guitar) and the 1641? Could you just not come off the board into the 1641?

I think that would depend on whether or not the board has a DO for each individual channel, right?

We're bringing a small, no frills mixer and I may run the vocals through the mixer to the 1641, and use the mixer to run the PA, but I only get 2 outs from the mixer (it doesn't have a DO for each channel).

The 1641 has 2 stereo outs (I think I can run 4 mono outs if I try). My plan is to use one for the PA and one for the monitor. I'll use the faders (and Input Echo as I just learned!) in Sonar to control output levels. I'm still not totally sure how we'll end up.

What do you need the House PA for? There's no audience, so all it will do is colour the sound? Your key feature will be getting separation, so the monitors need to be arranged to squirt as little as possible in the wrong directions. You need to have enough monitors so you can perform properly. Your snag is that you don't seem to have the right kit. If you have access to the house PA, you could make up a load of mic splits, I suppose - but you have lots of sources, but the Tascam is going to be stretched as it's only got limited numbers of mic inputs. Too many compromises, I think.

Your overdub idea is fine as long as you can get the separation - so DIs wherever you can - even on the guitar. If needed you can always re-amp later.

Everyone's really into the idea of "Room Sound". We're close micing everything plus 2 room mics. I wasn't planning on bringing a PA, just a large monitor or 2. I'm not sure which direction we'll go when we get there. I think they guys are taking for granted how much sound moves in the theater. I'm hoping when we get there, they'll realize the house PA is overkill.

OK, 14 inputs, get everyone hooked up, leave enough for 2 room mics. Use the Tascam out for the monitors and for room sound. I think the mixer since it is limited screws you up unless you just want to control the monitors.

So, everything straight in to the 1641, monitors out (maybe here the mixer) from the Tascam and to the everyone playing. Not sure how that will work, plus the room may not sound so good since there are no asses in the seats. Just big empty room. Like stated above, I would do a limited run first, not with everyone, just what would be the easiest to setup.

We're only getting one shot, I won't be able to set up a test run. I've been given a month in the theater, but there's only one day that works for the whole band......dang grown-ups and their schedules.
To be honest, I'm skeptical about the 'room sound', but I want to cover my bases. That's why we're close micing everything as well as 2 room mics. I'm hoping that gives me the best chance a capturing something worthwhile.

OK, 14 inputs, get everyone hooked up, leave enough for 2 room mics. Use the Tascam out for the monitors and for room sound. I think the mixer since it is limited screws you up unless you just want to control the monitors.

So, everything straight in to the 1641, monitors out (maybe here the mixer) from the Tascam and to the everyone playing. Not sure how that will work, plus the room may not sound so good since there are no asses in the seats. Just big empty room. Like stated above, I would do a limited run first, not with everyone, just what would be the easiest to setup.

I too think the PA may give you more issues than it's worth. As DM mentioned the room being empty may be an issue. It may get a little boomy (if that's a word). but hey go for it. You are going to get a lot of natural reverb from the room I would think, maybe even some slapback. The reverb is bad enough but echo will kill you. Live recording is fun. Good luck.:thumbs up:

Be aware that 1400 seat theatres can sound pretty crap without 1400 warm, soft bodies to act as acoustic treatment. Maybe you've got a good one but, in my experience, the good ones are rare.

Back