:10, :20, :30, :60, 2min edits: help!!

espskully

Hello. I just got a writers instruction sheet for the music library I signed with. For instrumentals they need :10, :20, :30, :60, 2 min edits of each tune, with button endings, no fade ins or outs.

This is going to be tricky. How the hell do you accomplish this with existing tunes? Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Now for stuff I haven't written yet, is it best to write a different version for each length?

This is going to be massively challenging. Cool, but hard as hell.

The library is mainly focusing on sports and car commercials.

Thank for any advice or input.

-Aaron.

Any audio editor will work to crop a sound file.

Audacity is free. http://audacity.sourceforge.net or check out other editors at www.hitsquad.com

If a clip is just a bit over, editors like SoundForge can change a clip's run time (i.e. take this clip and change it from 64 to exactly 60.000 seconds). I think WaveLab and others can also do some time compressing/stretching but you have to just try it to see if it will work without artifacts or pitch changes.

If it's in MIDI, just fudge the tempo a bit to get it to hit the exact time you're looking for. No one will know if it's 92.85bpm instead of 90bpm.

Yes, if you know you are going to produce something for a 60 second slot, write it correctly. That's the way radio jingle writers have to do it.... hit the mark right on the second. It just takes practice.

Thank for the reply. I actually have Logic Platinum 6.0 - so cutting audio isn't the problem. I went home at lunch and tagged on a button ending - just punched it in at the end of 10 seconds - and it worked. My biggest fear was trying to match the newly recorded button ending with the sounds that are already there - but it turned out OK. I got a 10 & 20 second clip done of a tune that was already written as a 3+ minute tune.

You're right - lots of practice!

It's actually really fun.

Cheerz.

One trick you can do in DAW's is to pick a segment of music and most DAW's have a Fit Selection to Time function. You can then specify an amount of time and voila. It's very handy for scoring.

Back