Zoom F6 - Recording in 32 bit questions

hmchristian7020

I've got a Zoom F6 cued up on my cart, and I had a question about recording in 32 bit. I'm used to 16 or 24 bit with my focusrite and zoom H6, but if I use the floating 32 bit function, will I need to set my DAW project to 32 bit to edit them correctly, and will having the bit rate that high put a much higher strain on my computer? If I used it for something like voice over where they require it to be a specific bit rate, will I be able to lower the bit rate when exporting to WAV without corrupting the audio?

More bits means bigger files. Bigger files will take more space on the drive and more bandwidth to and from the drive.

It's probably a good idea to set your DAW to the same parameters as the files, depending on the DAW (which you haven't specified). That said, many DAWs process at 32 bit floating point even if the project and files are at 24 bit fixed point.

You should be able to export at whatever settings you need for delivery.

The F6 is 32-bit float, which means it does not have the clipping (dynamic range) problem that integral bitrates have.

If you actually have recorded content that exceeds 0dBFS in the 32-bit float format, you will need to lower its gain to create a file that will not have the peaks "shaved off" if the DAW automatically converts it to 24-bit on import.

I find that Reaper will pull in whatever you import. I've even mixed format files (wave plus MP3) and never had an issue. It does all its internal processing in 32bit FP. Reaper will export 32bit FP wave files if you tell it to, regardless of the source files.

That said, I usually do my recording at 88K/24bit. The Tascam doesn't do 32bit, and I doubt I even come close to having a problem with 24bit.

Oh Okay cool! I really want to use it as both an interface AND a field recorder. The reviews on the float tech were what sold me, but I think I understand how to translate that to a computer workflow now.

I use Reaper on windows and Logic Pro X on Mac, depending on what platform is present. But I do prefer Logic most.

There are now a couple of AIs on the market that use multiple, paralleled converters to give massive dynamic range to their inputs and could, presumably use or benefit from 32 bit float operation but even for the most pernnickerty home recordist I doubt they use or need better than the (wholly unachievable) 144 DR of 24 bits?

Dave.

The F6 is designed primarily as a Field recorder, and at least in those circles (live sound, film/video, et al), the elimination of the integer-imposed dynamic range limit is seen as a big win, mostly to avoid having to do a retake or work-around, e.g. a slamming door that was a lot louder than expected, or whatever. (F8/F8n owner user and never ran into a dynamic range problem w/o 32-bit-float, but I don't work in film stuff...)

For home recording, I don't see a bonus, and in fact it's possibly the wrong choice if your DAW doesn't leave the file alone on import or have a 32-bit float setting when using it as an interface. It's unlikely you *need* 32-bit float dynamic range capability recording at home. (And, yes, as [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION] says, you can still overdrive the preamps, but you might be deaf at that point, or bent the ribbon...)

P.S. (edit) I tried to use my F8s as interfaces for a brief while between interfaces when I updated my computer and lost the FW port. I found it extremely unsatisfying because while it "worked" there was really no way to manage the outputs easily, e.g. for routing to a headphone amp, and you needed adapter cables for unbalanced connection to monitor speakers. I don't even know if the F6 has both main and sub outs to work with. So, I got an interface and the F8n is sitting out for tests and whatever until I feel safe enough to venture out again :|

Back