Yes, another Fostex low volume question. Be kind.

radi0j0hn

While I know my way around basic recording for radio, etc. I have never messed with devices used mostly by music people. So I am putting this in the newbie area, as in this case that is me.

I found a nice, working black Fostex MR 8 with a 1 GB card, bag, etc. for less than 40 bucks and said, "what the heck!"

I've got he manual, figured how to record a single track, tried the mic simulations.

But the recorded tracks when dumped to Adobe Audition are very low volume. The pots are cranked up all the way and I tried both the XLR and unbalanced connector with dynamic mics .

So do I have to "master" the file to get the volume up?

Again, this is more for something that is a learning experience. So thanks in advance!

John

Don't know the unit but; 1) What does the metering on the hardware's inputs indicate in record mode (LEDs what have you)?
2) And what levels -average and peak are you seeing once in the DAW (channels flat and gains at zero)?

(I'm not familiar with whatever method might have been used to get the tracks into the DAW)

I've got the master level and trim at 100%. The file WAV is transfered via USB or card reader. I can increase the volume 10DB in Audition, but it seems like I am missing some step with the unit. The same mic works fine with another digital recorder.

So do I have to "master" the file to get the volume up?
No, mastering is the very last step and you do not master individual tracks in a mix. You master the whole entire mix, after you get it to sound the way you want it to.

FYI: In 24bit recording, anywhere between -24dB and -10dB peak is just fine in most cases. You have have 256 more times the resolution than you did in 16bit recording.

Back