Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Years 16 thru 21--The angst period

Thanks

Years 16 thru 21--The angst period

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay here goes...

During what years were you age 16 to 21, and what was playing in the background while you let your hormones loose on mankind? Was this music formative or influential? Was it the best music ever or has your view of it been supplanted by maturity. Did you primarily listen to music of this period or a mix of older songs? If you were also playing older music, how far back did it go?

And if you're still age 16-21. It's past your bedtime. You have school tomorrow.

Thanks
    Between the ages of 16 and 21 my musical influences, and consequently the songs I played, came from the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dylan, Donovan, John Hammond, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, then King Crimson and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

I still regard those acts as being, if not the best, close to it. That could be because of the exposure to it at the time. These days, the music I listen to most is the music that I have recorded, either that of people who have come in, or my own.

Thanks
    Between 16 and 21 I joined a band (at 17) that was playing 5 to 6 shows a week, I had no life outside the band, no birthdays, no new years except working (I worked out I played or mixed 20 NYE's in a row), great times.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Okay here goes...

During what years were you age 16 to 21, and what was playing in the background while you let your hormones loose on mankind? Was this music formative or influential? Was it the best music ever or has your view of it been supplanted by maturity. Did you primarily listen to music of this period or a mix of older songs? If you were also playing older music, how far back did it go?

And if you're still age 16-21. It's past your bedtime. You have school tomorrow.
    Mostly I don't recall songs or TV from that time as I was at the uni and it sucked up all my time.
    But it would have mostly been songs from the late 50s and early 60s if I did hear any on the car radio.

The 50s was the peak of everything including popular music. It has been all downhill since then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post

The 50s was the peak of everything including popular music. It has been all downhill since then.

You're on a downhill roll!

If you were at the university during the early '60s...where were you during the late '60s, '70, etc...asleep?
    Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the music from the '50s and early '60s...but to say that everything after was "downhill"...sounds to me like you're one of those people who locks into music they hear during their teens and early 20s...and then that's all they know for the rest of their lives.
    You're not one of the 60-70 year old guys who sing Elvis songs while in the shower, are you?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post

You're on a downhill roll!

If you were at the university during the early '60s...where were you during the late '60s, '70, etc...asleep?
    Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the music from the '50s and early '60s...but to say that everything after was "downhill"...sounds to me like you're one of those people who locks into music they hear during their teens and early 20s...and then that's all they know for the rest of their lives.
    You're not one of the 60-70 year old guys who sing Elvis songs while in the shower, are you?
    i cant sing at all

but i do have a lot of elvis cds as well as cd collections from 50s and 60s
    after that the stuff became unlistenable for me and kept getting worse in the 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s

Thanks
    Well I like Elvis...but c'mon, you have to be pretty close-minded to say everything just got worse after him and that period.
    And what are you talking about...the styles of music or the quality of the recordings?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Well I like Elvis...but c'mon, you have to be pretty close-minded to say everything just got worse after him and that period.
    And what are you talking about...the styles of music or the quality of the recordings?
    the music itself

now it is just how loud can you play and keep screaming the same line over and over

or its some sort of hiphop nonsense that all sounds alike

Thanks
    I find that every era has its mixture of gems and dross.

I can find heaps to like in every decade, as well as stuff I find painful

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    I find that every era has its mixture of gems and dross.

I can find heaps to like in every decade, as well as stuff I find painful
    I think that's probably close to the truth. Although I find that as I age, I much less tolerant of current popular forms. I can generally handle pop music from most decades up until about 1990 or so. But even I have my breaking point. And like Mr. Average, it becomes crap and I become intolerant. Take Cher, for example, if I was trapped in a dentist chair, I could listen to Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves. But I have to get out of the chair when she stars dancing with sailors and using too much autotune.

Thread Information