Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Years 16 thru 21--The angst period

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post

The 50s was the peak of everything including popular music. It has been all downhill since then.
    Wow. I didn't know they had college (as we yanks say) back in the 50's.

And you gotta love a man steadfast in his beliefs. You're even more of a curmudgeon than I am.

Thanks
    Have to agree with Miroslav on this one. It's really hard to dismiss the 60's and to a lesser extent the 70's and 80's. Rock and roll, at least, was born there but wasn't completely fleshed out as a genre until perhaps 1980 or 1990. I would argue sometime during the period 1974 to 1979...when I was 16 to 21.

Thanks
    When I was in my angst years, I was hit with a dizzying array of songs and styles. I had an older brother and sister. So I heard everything that they played from the 1960's I still remember my sister in a Beatles sweatshirt listing to 45's and that was probably around 1964 or so. My brother listened more to Dylan and I picked up that influence along with the rest of the early folk music. So by the time I reached 16, my ears were pretty full. Then comes an avalanche of classic rock which reached it's zenith in the mid 70's. But that's not all. Classic rock got mixed with everything from disco to country rock (Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, etc.). And right in the middle punk began. By the time new wave hit, I was 21 an knew not to dress in spandex.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    Between 16 and 21 I joined a band (at 17) that was playing 5 to 6 shows a week, I had no life outside the band, no birthdays, no new years except working (I worked out I played or mixed 20 NYE's in a row), great times.

Alan.
    Damn! That's harsh. A musical equivalent of the Triangle Shirt Factory. And I thought the Aussies had child labor laws.

Thanks
    The angst years?... I don't think there was a lot of teenage angst.

I can't say that the those 5 years are the real focus of my listening today. By 1969, I was already heavily into Hendrix, Cream, Buffalo Springfield, BST, but I had plenty of older stuff by then. Johnny Rivers, Beach Boys, Duane Eddy, Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds Kinks.

I still remember listening to my mom's Floyd Cramer and dad's Santo and Johnny records. By 16 I had been playing guitar for 5 years. By '72 I was working at the college radio station, so there was no problem finding new and different stuff. Also took a few classes on classical music, mostly preferring the Romantic and early 20th century modern stuff over the three Bs and Mozart. A good Prokofiev or Debussey is more to my taste.

Today it was Gin Blossoms and Altered Five Blues band, Monday it was Brian Setzer Orchestra, last week was Eagles and Tommy Emmanuel. Yesterday I was trying to work out Steely Dan's Josie (playing those 9th chords is a b*tch).

I tend to prefer good vocal performances with real harmony.

The great thing about music today is that there is so much available, but that also makes it tough to weed out all the junk from the real treasures. Now that EVERYONE can buy a computer and microphone and start programming their "beatz" and cut and pasting samples there's a LOT of junk. Thankfully there are still some musicians out there.

Thread Information