Yamaha MM-110 on pc

Nene

Hello there! I have this Yamaha mm-110, an electret condenser microphone and I'm wondering if and how I could set it up to be used with my pc. It uses a 6.3 jack and requires an AA battery. I've already tried many different batteries, two 6.3 to 3.5 adapters, every available port on the pc, 2 pcs and one laptop and at this point I'm afraid it's just not possible. The microphone itself seems basically new and has never been used. Can ayone help me?

"every available port on the pc" - any chance one of them was a microphone input jack? Many computers have combination mic/headset jacks, so a standard 2-conductor adapter would not work.

A 1/4" female TRS jack to 3.5mm male plug adaptor SHOULD work into most laptop mic jacks but you will need to go into Windows Sounds And Devices to set the mic sckt as "Default" recording device. Then you will need to set the level. Try 50% and NO boost to start with.

But, some later laps used a 4 pole "TRRS" jack and that won't work I don't think and you will need to buy a "breakout" cable plus the adaptor. Even then, the mic could be knackered! Might be easier all round to get a BM-800? Or an interface, a Shure SM58 and do it properly!

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

A 1/4" female TRS jack to 3.5mm male plug adaptor SHOULD work into most laptop mic jacks but you will need to go into Windows Sounds And Devices to set the mic sckt as "Default" recording device. Then you will need to set the level. Try 50% and NO boost to start with.

But, some later laps used a 4 pole "TRRS" jack and that won't work I don't think and you will need to buy a "breakout" cable plus the adaptor. Even then, the mic could be knackered! Might be easier all round to get a BM-800? Or an interface, a Shure SM58 and do it properly!

Dave.

Dave. Sorry! KEEPS fekkin' DOING that!

"every available port on the pc" - any chance one of them was a microphone input jack? Many computers have combination mic/headset jacks, so a standard 2-conductor adapter would not work.

Yeah the first port I tried was the pink 3.5 microphone one (with a microphone symbol next to it). It's the same one I use for my gaming headset (which uses an adpater with two different jacks, one for the audio out and one for the microphone).

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

Dave.

Unfortunately I cannot set any device connected to any port as default until something is actually connected. Once something is, the option "lights up" to signal something is connected and automatically becomes the default device. Even then though I should still be able to see the microphone picking up sound, whether it's the default device or not, but it doesn't. Buying something else would be easier but I already have a working microphone (my headset): I was just trying to make this one work since I had it laying around in the house unused and I thought it could sound better than my current one. I don't find myself able to spend money on something like this at the moment

Back