Yamaha mg82cx recording two seperate... tracks please help

olskoolfife

Hi
I am hoping someone can help here.
I have a yamaha mg82cx mixer and i would like to record my tracks seperately.
I have mp3 instrumental going in and a mic.
I am also listening to the sound with headphones plugged in to the mixer.
I am looking to be able to hear myself and the music whilst recording the tracks seperately to the computer.

I am just wondering the moat cost effective way to achieve this.
I have a behringer uca 222 interface aswell bit im still not sure how to achieve all this.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

You are in a spot of bother.

The MP3 backing track will be in stereo, which needs two channels.

So while you're playing this through the mixer, you are also singing, which requires another. This makes three. The UCA can only do two.

One way of doing it is to make the MP3 mono, either by just taking left or right, or by taking both, but panning both hard left. That puts the MP3 on the left channel. You plug in the mike and pan its channel hard right. That means that through the UCA you will get just MP3 on the left, and just voice on the right. You then set your DAW up so that one track picks up left, and another pciks up right.

If you want to preserve stereo of the MP3, you can upload it straight to your computer. Or you can record it via mixer and UCA.

Once in your DAW, you should be able to playback into the mixer via the UCA, then simultaneously record your vocal while you listen to it. Make sure you press 2trk in to 'monitor' on the Yamaha.

Connect the mixer's REC OUT to the 222's input and the 222's output to the mixer's 2 TR input.

Press the TO MONITOR button on the mixer down.

Import your mp3 into your DAW.

Set the DAW to play the mp3 out of the 222.

Connect a mic and set the gain etc.

Set up a track in the DAW to record from the 222.

The mixer's MONITOR and PHONES outputs will have a mix of the playback from the DAW (your mp3) and your voice. The REC OUT will have only your voice.

It's often necessary to turn backing tracks down quite a bit in order to have headroom to record and mix properly. If your mp3 is a finished commercial mix turn it down in the DAW by 12dB. You can get that volume back up at a later point.

Back