Yamaha AW16G problem

Slimjimmyg

Hey everyone! So I was recording on my Yamaha AW16G digital recorder tonight when all of a sudden what I was recording (handclaps) appeared on another track that the mic channel wasn’t assigned to, and out of time. Then a short synth bass part I had recorded, in the same section but on a different channel, disappeared. When I re-recorded the synth part and listened back to it bits of it were randomly jumping in and out on different tracks that the synths channel wasn’t assigned to.

I’ve had the AW16G for 17 years and nothing like this has happened before, it does occasionally turn itself off and on again, and I’m having to repeatedly delete stuff to make space even though there’s not a lot of stuff on it anymore. Is it just finally dying on me? Would it be a problem with the hard drive? I’m not very knowledgeable with stuff like this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

It could be that the drive is starting to fail. Can you back up projects so that you can use AWextract to pull the wave files out, or export the wave files to CD?

Have you ever reformatted the drive? I believe that is supposed to wipe all data, but retain the OS. The operating system is available from DijonStock forum.

If the drive is failing, it might be hard to find a replacement 20G or 40G drive to replace the internal, but all hope is not lost. Several people have been able to convert from hard drive to a SDHC card using and IDE => SD card adapter. You can see some information in the links below.

Yamaha AW16G Internal hard drive vs external SDHC card - YamahaMusicians.com

The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum • View topic - Upgrading / replacing the hard drive in a AW-1600

Hi Rich! Cheers for the reply and the links, much appreciated. I have backed up everything I’m working on to cds, going to put rough mixes of everything onto cds tonight also just to be safe, if it allows me. I haven’t reformatted the drive, will look into doing that. Thanks again!

No problem, SlimJimmyG. The AW16G was a really nice unit. I thought the sound was really good. The main weakness was the ability to back up data, something the AW1600 fixed with the USB connection.

I've got an AW16G that was in the basement in it's case back in 2007. The basement ended up with about 18 inches of water from a really bad storm. I thought my G was trashed, and the AW1600 had just been released, so I bought one as a replacement.

After I let everything dry out for weeks, it turned out that the G was actually ok, except for the CD drive. I replaced that but it sat for years as I moved to the 1600 and then a Zoom R24. Recently I pulled it out and found about an hour of band practice recordings that I had done. I've pulled those wav files (bass, drums and keyboard) into Reaper and am playing around with the songs, adding vocals and guitar work. Most are the standard fare for cover bands, Moondance, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Stray Cat Strut, etc. but its fun to go back and "play along" with the guys.

Once I get everything off, I hope to try going the SDHC card route. The only issue I need to fix is a broken power switch.

Good luck and let us know the result.

Sometimes , "initializing the mixer settings to factory default" can fix some oddball signal routing problems like you Might have. Doesn't effect the recorded audio. Plenty of instructions online. Good luck .. mark

All of my songs and the data are on the machine. it shows the counter moving when it plays, but the indicators don't move and no sound comes out. Tried playing a cd in the drive...it plays, but no sound. Any ideas?
Nothing in headphones, stereo outside or mixer outs.

Back