Working on my debut acoustic album...

kai17n

Hello, my name is Kai - and I'm a multi instrumentalist player.
I want to release my long-worked-on acoustic debut, but I have no idea on how will I even begin.
I have no money to bring myself to a professional studio, so I thought about making it home recorded and mixed - at least most of it.
I have no acoustic panels or flooring in my room (which doesn't really concern me), nor do I have any special recording device.
I use my Alctron mic with a wind silencer to record most instruments, and since it's USB plugged, I work on it on a program called SONAR X1 LE.
I've tried working on Cubase before, but I have no idea how to use it; not only that, my instruments are all unplugged.

If you can, I'd like to have some advice on distance ratio between the microphone and different instruments: I use an acoustic guitar, a cajon drum and an old non-midi keyboard.

Thanks a lot!,
Kai. :)

Welcome to the world of homerecording! Unfortuantley, there is no 'easy way' to do it. You've got to do a fair amount of experiementing and really learn how to use the equipment you have and make it work for your situation.
I have to warn that a USB mic recording acoustic instruments in an untreated space is not going to give you great results, but if you are satisfied with the overall sound you get, go for it. Typically close-miking is going to be better to get less of the room in the recorded sound.
Suggest you read the following threads and as much othe rinfo as you can find.
Intro to Computer Recording
Ultimate Newbie FAQ
Acoustic Guitar Recording 101
Should I Buy a USB Mic - looks like this one is a little late for you, but read it anyway.

So get started, then come back and ask some more specific questions.

Back