White noise using audio interface and condenser mic

danportillog

Hello guys

I'm getting a really annoying white noise/hiss in the background of my recordings. I can hear this noise while direct monitoring and also when i playback my recordings. I'm gonna list all my equipment and every "solution" i've tried just so you guys know...

- I'm using an i7 HP laptop with windows 10.
- My audio interface is a Behringer UMC22. my condenser mic is a Neewer NW-800 pluged with XLR to my interface. And yes, i use phantom power.
- I'm not sure if the noise i'm getting is a ground loop. It just sounds like wind/white noise. It's not a high pitch noise or a pop sound, none of that.
- I have tried unplugging the laptop to run it only with the battery, but there's no change.
- I have disabled any other audio input or output in my laptop (except for my audio interface obviously)
- I have tried switching USB ports.

I know the setup i have is cheap and i can't really expect an outstanding performance, but i've seen videos of other people with the same mic and interface, and they say they don't get any noise at all.

THANK YOU

I think one of the problems with those cheap mics is that their quality is inconsistent. Just because other people had good results doesn't mean you will.

If you could try a known good mic that would help narrow down the problem.

They're actually able to work on 5v right up to 48v with fairly good performance so unless it's faulty, then you need another mic - any mic with an XLR to compare. The hiss is not a ground loop, that's a 50/60hz bass hum or buzz. To check it is the microphone, unplug it. Does the hiss simply stop? If so, it's the mic. if the hiss continues, it's the preamp. You need to borrow another mic to confirm. Probably just a duff one - it can happen.

Back