White noise NT1A / UMC22

Prinz93

Hey,

I have set up my own space to record vocals in an empty bedroom of my house but there is a terrible hissing sound (see attachment) when I try.

I have Rode NT1A connected to a Behringer UMC22 preamp. I use FL20 for muni DAW and as soon as I select my mic on the mixer it brings up an awful amount of static / white noise.

The room is treated with acoustic panels / bass trapped etc.

This is causing a massive delay in the work I want to complete. Can anybody please advise on what this could be?

Attachments

• White Noise.mp3
    683.7 KB · Views: 122
Well that sure as H ain't "white" noise! Not sure what is in that clip, are they footsteps?

Can we have a more organized clip please? Set everything up, set AI gain to min. Eyeball the DAW meters. Talk at about a foot from the mic and advance the gain untill you get around -20dB fs on the meters. Then shut tfup and don't breath for ten seconds. Post complete clip as top quality 320k MP3 please.

That way we get a reference as to where the noise sits.

Quck guess? You are using the AI as a generic USB Audio device and Windows has the internal gain slammed to 100%.

Dave.

Sounds like digital noise that comes with a ground loop between your interface and computer common with self powered interfaces. Make sure you are using balanced connections for everything. Even an unbalanced connection between your interface and monitors can cause this. Use only TRS or XLR wherever possible.

Sounds like digital noise that comes with a ground loop between your interface and computer common with self powered interfaces. Make sure you are using balanced connections for everything. Even an unbalanced connection between your interface and monitors can cause this. Use only TRS or XLR wherever possible.

I don't think the UMC22 has balanced outs friend. Your idea is possible but let us wait for OP to send a useful clip?

Dave.

There are some room noises, but the problem is the digital noise underneath.

+1.
Might be worth trying different USB ports on your computer and/or a powered usb hub.
The actual hiss in your clip is probably just the normal amount of hiss from the AI preamp, but ECCs suggestion/request should clarify that. :)

,,, Ok, guessing it's my turn lol,,,

Sounds like you start walking, snap your fingers, and step on the cord... Or,,, you recorded a UFO, possible aka Fly, lol
But I'm going with out the fly, I think,,, yes. Everything but the fly :D

Back