what's my weak link?

Fab4ever

Getting better
Hi all. Another classic newbie question:

I have been learning how to record onto my computer hard drive using Calkwalk "Professional" (it's like Home Studio) for the past two or three months. I have produced some songs I am fairly happy with but looking to take the next step into better-sounding tracks. My songs are melodic rock, Beatles-influenced (big surprise there) often with Christian themes (not that that matters to the sound!) Instruments are acoustic-electric guitar (Washburn solid-top), Strat, VERY cheap Yamaha consumer-quality keyboard (which I use for rhthym tracks and piano and organ sounds), along with the odd tambourine.
My mic is a cheapo Samson dynamic, and I use my old Fostex 4-track as a mixer - not very satisfying, since there's no EQ or phantom power included with it.
Apart from a few guitar pedals, the only effects I have are those included with the software - basic reverb, flange, chorus and echo.
So where are my weakest links? Should I focus on obtaining a consdensor mic, like an NT-1? Plug-in effects? A mixer? A preamp?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How much money do you want to spend?

What is your objective for creating better music?

Is it for demos, pre-production, as a hobby, professionally, or personal use?

Provide us with a little more info, if possible. :)

Because, there are a lot of different directions you could go in terms of finding your "missing link". :)

SPIN

Thanks, Spinsterwun.

Sadly, my budget is in the hundreds rather than the thousands.

I produce music mainly for my own enjoyment, and that of my friends. But I'd like to be able to burn a CD that I can feel good about popping in the old deck when a friend or stranger comes over, ya know? Or, at least, something I can lay on the church band when we're looking for a new tune to do at that neighborhood outreach.

I'm not looking to get to LA, Nashville or New York. I just wanna make something I'm proud of. And, of course, if a friend just happens to have a music industry connection.... I can dream, can't I?

Hope this helps. I realize I'm being a bit general... I have high standards for myself, but probably something less than professional=quality asperations.

Well you didn't mention what soundcard you're using to record digital audio. Outside of that I'd say your mic and preamp are the weakest links in the chain mentioned. The NT-1 and a decent preamp will produce some very nice results that might be completely lost on a crappy soundcard.

Good point. I have a Soundblaster PCI... I forget the number, but it's the one just under Live.

Mic & Pre - no doubt

drstawl said it. I am sort of in the same boat. I do have a decent mic but am missing a good pre. I would start here for sure.

And by the way, GO GOD

Amen, brother!

Thanks for the advice. Is the ART microphone pre-amp a good option? I've seen it referred to positively on this site.

Or would the smallest Samson or Behringer mixer be better? I don't think I absolutely need a mixer at this point because I only play by myself - not with other musicians.

Can anyone tell me whether all this is a waste with the Creative Sound Lab Soundblaster PCI soundcard?

Since I don't own one, it is hard for me to respond, but another pre that is mentioned alot is the PreSonus Blue. If I am not mistaken, it is a dual channel where as the cheap Art is only single channel. And I beleive that the Presonus is only about 150.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the soundcard itself? Is the Soundblaster PCI gonna doom my sound?

SB PCI

I've got one in my PC at work and it does a credible job of playback- better than my old awe32 ever did. My only gripe about this class of cards is the 1/8" stereo miniplug inputs and outputs. I've ranted on this subject before so I'll just say that they are delicate and temperamental. The NT-1 and even a $100 preamp would be higher quality than the A/D converters could capture on that card, but so what? It's not like you're dropping $2K on a mic/pre combo and then butchering the pristine signal with the Soundblaster. I've heard decent stuff done on cheaper soundcards than that.

Thanks, Drstawl. I may get the NT-3 first, and use it on battery power, without a pre, until I can afford an Art Tube MP or that Presonus Blue Tube folks seem to like for the cash. Then later I can get a decent mixer, a new soundcard, some plug-ins, a new Taylor, a new computer, a big Marshall stack, a set of drums (and drum lessons!).....etc. et al....

So then the next question becomes.... what is the next step up in terms of a soundcard? No way can I sink $500 or $1,000 on a sound card, but is there something in the $200 range that'll beat SB Live Platinum?

And is SB Live Platinum any better than SB PCI? I realize there's a whole section on sound cards, but they seem to focus there on the high, high-dollar ones....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Plenty of choices under $300. I like my GINA, but check out Darla, The stuff from Digital Audio Labs, choices from M-Audio, and maybe Hoontech (sp?). Unfortunately GadgetLabs is no more, so you'd be buying an unsupported card. In the SB realm don't forget to look at Turtle Beach and (excuse the funky brand name) Monster cards. They are a bit better than the SB line.

BTW- you'll still need a pre even with the NT-3. All it avoids is the need for phantom power. I've got the NT-1 and the NT-3 and I think the few extra bucks for the NT-1 is well worth it. The mic pres on any cards you're considering are real garbage.

Thanks, Dr. Stawl! I am gonna investigate the NT-1 and perhaps the Art Tube MP. The sound card will probably have to wait for awhile, but thanks for the suggestions.

Back