What is your favorite mic

For home use, it's the Miktek MK300. Works well for both vocals and acoustic guitar, i.e., pretty much the main thing I do at home.

I, admittedly, do not have a big mic locker, especially in the LDC category (2!), because my recording space is limited, and I tend to record more "live stage" kind of things, even when I'm at home.

I don't have a favourite. I'm the eternal amateur and I'm very much of the opinion that any mic can record any source. I don't actually have many mics and none of them could be remotely described as 'high end' {more like "I'd struggle to give some of these away in the end !"} which obviously colours my opinion.
That said, as I've gotten back into recording after a long lay off, I've become more thoughtful about which mics to use for what. For example, if I'm recording acoustic guitars, there are 4 or 5 {be they condensers or dynamics} that I might use, depending on the kind of role the acoustic is going to play in the song. And a couple of weeks ago, I used a AKG C1000S to record the bass guitar through my Fender bassman combo amp which on the face of it sounds almost insane. But it actually gave the harsh~ish rugged sound I was looking for.
Actually, thinking about it, I do have a go-to for recording the double bass ~ the Rode NT2000. I like its variety.
Mics are just one of those arenas that have forced me to get creative but in saying that, my ears, in terms of picking out what many of the guys here can pick out routinely, are not that much more sensitive than those of a deaf leopard.

I have a few favourites.

I started with the original Rode NT1 which was fine at the time. Eventually I got an AKG C414 (like [MENTION=178786]rob aylestone[/MENTION]) and that sat on the mike stand non-stop as an all-purpose favourite.

However, on impulse I bought the re-engineered black NT1, and now that has replaced the AKG in pride of place.

I have two other special mentions:

For violin I am deeply attached to a diminutive Audio Technica 853 (which is actually designed as an ensemble mike), and for (at least) sax and upright bass, the unprepossessing and ridiculously cheap Behringer C2 has not let me down.

Of the mics that I have, the NT1 is my favorite. More neutral and natural sounding than my SP mics, or my AKG or Rode small diaphragms. Beats out my SM57 or E835s. All around good and versatile.

It depends what day it is LOL. I am always changing my favourite mic. It also depends what you are going to record, vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, drums, banjo (oh, no mic required :) )

My favourite vocal mic at the moment is a CAD Tron 8000 valve mic, picked it up for AU$200 on ebay, not well know here in Australia, I love this thing. I also like all my Rode mics, NT1000 is a dark horse of mics. AKG4000C for acoustic guitars. Good old SM57, Senheisser 421 on guitar cabs? I have a long list of mics.

Alan.

My favorite mic is whatever sounds best on the given source.

That is, of course, unless I'm doing a live event with a series of inexperienced talkers, then it's the SM58 for me. I can pretty much bend and warp it to my needs.

Each situation and purpose has its favorite mic.

Situations are inanimate, and can have no favourites. Engineers can have favourites for different situations, and those favourites will vary from engineer to engineer (as this thread highlights).

Situations are inanimate, and can have no favourites. Engineers can have favourites for different situations, and those favourites will vary from engineer to engineer (as this thread highlights).

OK...thanks for clarifying that situations are inanimate. :D

Look up "metaphor".
I'm saying the same thing as you...only with less words. ;)

I'm wondering if I'm just lazy. I quite like buying mics but then fail to use them. They're infrequently useful, which is a shame.

I too have way more than I need/use...but somehow they just accumulated.
Heck...just in the last few months I bought a dozen mics...though I have to say, these are all better quality mics.
Thing is...as I pick up the better ones, the ones I purchased in the past that were meant for similar tasks, tend to collect dust...but I don't ever consider selling them.

I've just gone through the mic boxes sitting in the studio and have unearthed mics I bought back in the 80s . I don't even remember having 4 AKG D190! I've found a Shure green bullet, a number of quite old Chinese LDCs (bought for a big band recording in probably 2000?? And a couple of Samson C01s which I think date back to 2004. Can't remember using any of these for years, but I have recorded things that they would have been quite good on. I never sell things, I'm a collector/hoarder. I've still left the 414 out, and packed away the others I just found, just in case - although I'm tempted to try these 190 AKGs because they look nice. I cannot remember what they sound like at all, so an experiment I think.

My favorites......can't decide on just one.

CAD M177....for most recorded vocals
Oktava MK-012....matched pair for many recorded instruments....and even occasional vocals
Shure SM-57....lots of vocals and guitar cabs
Sennheiser e935....great for live vocals

I'm also wondering to what extent the pre~amp or the particular setting used influences the sound of a particular mic. Every so often, I find that I can hear things seemingly better than before and that helps me differentiate what a given mic may be like on a particular source. From time to time I'm surprised at just how different two different mics can make a source sound. Gone are the days when I thought that a mic was a mic and one size fitted all.

Back