What is your favorite mic

I've never been into the pre-amp sound differences, but happily concede they all sound slightly different, but a 58 always sounds like a 58, and the 'sound' of the preamps is minor compared with a mic swap. I think I plug my mics into 5 different devices and the differences are small enough to be masked by almost anything.

fav today is the Rode NTV, in a gearhead way, its obsolete, its loaded with best parts and I got it super cheap.
(unfortunate my room sucks for LDC..) Rode K2 or Classic is on my radar for a super cheap grab...I prefer $100 to $200 range.

other than the tube Rodes' ... all Shure's....because I wanted to collect different types and due to the ocean of options in brand names it was overwhelming, not really because Shure is some best brand, they are built well and fairly cheap. SM, KSM, pencils, and condensors to dynamics. pickup patterns are interesting....I wish I had some time to record musicians and use the gear more.

I've never been into the pre-amp sound differences, but happily concede they all sound slightly different, but a 58 always sounds like a 58, and the 'sound' of the preamps is minor compared with a mic swap. I think I plug my mics into 5 different devices and the differences are small enough to be masked by almost anything.
You're probably right. The main reason I brought it up was that on Saturday, I did a recording of a friend of mine and I used a Superlux mic, it's just an average mic that came as part of a drum mic set. I've recorded vocals and other things with it many times before but for the first time, I noticed just how different it made my friend's voice sound. The only thing that had changed from any other time I've used it was the pre~amp. It's got a variety of settings and because the particular vocal was going to go alongside other vocals that others had done previously, I thought I'd use a different setting for some variety.
I certainly got that !

Seeing we are talking mics and favourites, the reason I have so many mics and favourites is that I love recording bands live, all playing together in the studio. When this happens you need MICS! And they all have to be good.

For example, my own bands last album was recorded live, except vocals. Drums: Kick in (D112 or D12), Kick out (10" speaker), snare top (CAD TSM411 or SM57), snare bottom (small condenser), Hats (sennheiser me40), 2 toms (2 x AT3525), 2 floor toms 2 x AT3525), 2 overheads (Sennheiser ME40 x 2 or MXL V67Q stereo). Guitar cab: Large condenser NT1, Fat head ribbon, SM57 (or 421). Bass: SM57, AKG4000C and DI. Why so many, because we are recording live so no second chance, multi mics give multiple options later.

Coming up, bluegrass band: 3 x vocals, Banjo (yes I know LOL) Mandolin, fiddle, guitar, double bass (all Miced) I love this stuff. So it's nice to have a few mics in the mic cabernet.

Alan.

Two old condenser mics

Good day

What it your favorite mic?

Cheers

I use 2 older condenser mics for my home recording.
I use a Behringer C-1 for all my vocals and an Apex 435 for all the instruments.
I mic all my amps instead of going direct.
I was going to upgrade my mics, but a guy in the music store I was at told me to save my money
and that the mics I had were fine.
Don't know if that is true or not but I am still using them.
Cheers

I use 2 old condenser mics for my home recording and find them quite reliable.
For vocals, I use a Behringer C-1 and it gives me a nice clear, well defined sound.
For instruments, I use an Apex 435. I mic all my amps and don't record directly.
I was going to upgrade my mics, but a guy in a music store told me to save my money and
that my mics were fine. Don't know if that is true or not, but I am still using them.
Cheers

Electro Voice CS15. Not "best" mic I have but the most versatile. I can get usable/mixable results regardless of the source so when the high-dollar mics aren't doing what's needed, out comes the EV.

Back