what would i need to make a good sounding demo?

stingray

whats up people,

i want to move to the next level in recording.im not quite sure what the standard would be for a professional sounding demo.can you give some advice on whats missing from my set-up.

thanks

1.1 ghz
tusl2c mobo
sonar
delta 44 soundcard(pain in my ass)
boss drum machine
eurorack mx602a mixer(basic)
hp cdrw
need advice on mic's
need help with monitors
do i need a compressor etc?

What are you recording? Vocals, Guitars, Keys, Drums??

How many inputs do you need at a time?

If you have a lot of live sounds that you want to record all at once then I would suggest a nice mixer a few sm57's and a nice vocal mic. Add to that a 200$ efx processor and an RNC compressor (also $200).

If you only need to record one or 2 tracks at a time and vocals are important then you can skip the mixer spend some money on a nice mic pre and a good vocal mic like the Rode NTK....

Or if your just into electronic music, then buy the yamaha motif rack module.

shit... there is a lot of ways to spend $1000... you got to tell us what your recording.

okay

I record a lot of piano jazz, house, and funk. until now, most of this has been instrumentals done with a kurzweil 88 & a roland jv1010 synth module (great box 4 the $$).Now i plan to do some work with vocals & wanted your input on getting the best equipment 4 my money.Im not concerned about inputs at this point because i record one track at a time.My main concern is sound quality and the standard equipment used in studios to get that sound quality for demo cd's.if that makes any sense.Someone once told me that a good producer can make any equipment sound good.is that true?

stingray said:
......My main concern is sound quality and the standard equipment used in studios to get that sound quality for demo cd's.....
You won't be able to get "that" sound for just spending $1,000.00 on equipment.

You will be better off going to "real" studio to get that "real" sound, if your budget is just $1,000.00. :eek:

spin

Here is a small example of what I meant by my two last statements....

This is a piece that you would see in a "real" studio (now, keep in mind this is just one piece).

PRESS HERE FOR THE LINK to the MANLEY SLAM

Mind you....... that the price of this stereo limiter / mic-pre is $9,300.00 (and that is only one piece....). :eek:
Peace.....

spin

Back