what is voice over work?

A voice over is normally considered a recorded speaking part over a music bedtrack. Some examples are. A script read over music in a radio commercial, naration in a film documentary or a bisuness message read over music for a "on hold" phone system.

I was going to try to be funny and say I prefer making money with my voice over working for a living.

But any time you hear a recorded voice on anything, some recorded it and (hopefully) was paid to do it.

How odd, it was is the forum digest I just got. The VO scene has gotten crazy in 17 years. Kind of what self-publishing did to itself.

I think the latest craze is 'voice over training'. I wonder how many people make money in voice over work? I wonder how many make money after taking up this voice over training? :)

The VO scene has gotten crazy in 17 years. Kind of what self-publishing did to itself.
I do a fair bit -- Nothing huge (well, I had a bit during the next to last Parks and Rec episode which was technically a commercial, but part of the episode nonetheless), a lot of gaming stuff, LOTS of local PSA goofiness, used to do a lot of music store and a half-zillion radio spots.

Recently, I did an "audition" (I like to call them that because they do but they're basically cattle-calls for finished product) for a large regional home improvement company.

Didn't think too much about it - until I was watching the commercial. I have a feeling the fix was in. It was terrible. The director's notes said "brash, cocky, working-man tough" and I gave them two different versions, each with their own personality, but both fitting the descriptors. What aired was a boring, unclear, unexciting, emotionless read that sounded unrehearsed and unprepared, obviously by someone will little or no experience.

I'm not suggesting that *I* should've done the spot -- I'm just suggesting that they already knew who was doing it and the cattle-call -- er -- audition -- was a formality for the agents.

WIth the way I feel about mastering "auditions" I'm still surprised I bother with VO auditions. But I do it for "fun" as much as anything else. I get a gig here and there, agent sends audition notices here and there (I don't do many of them). And I do enough for the local municipalities that I'm not "craving" it anyway.

These dudes though...

YouTube

I am surprised at how many appear to get in to it thinking they will earn massive bucks. There is that many now trying to do voice over work the payments must have dropped through the floor except for the select few top names.

There is almost as many on Youtube claiming to be top voice over artists/actors offering expensive on-line training.

I have been self employed for years and one golden rule is........If you find and get involved in something that you make lots of cash. The last thing you do is tell and teach the whole world to do same. :) If it sounds too good to be true. It usually is.

Hollywood actors, well known ones, often do VO work without IDing themselves. A: They are good at what they do. B: People may not recognise them, but the voice sounds familiar, C: It's not real hard work. D: Ad agencies tell a potential client they can use (famous name) versus no name voice to get the account.

Hollywood actors, well known ones, often do VO work without IDing themselves. A: They are good at what they do. B: People may not recognise them, but the voice sounds familiar, C: It's not real hard work. D: Ad agencies tell a potential client they can use (famous name) versus no name voice to get the account.

So what is your point with this?

What you say is true. But how many people actually purchase a product just because somebody famous speaks or appears in the advert? If those figures were published I bet fewer famous people would be given that type of work.

What is voice over work?

A voice over, often abbreviated VO in script notation, is a narrative technique in which an unseen actor's lines are heard over visual elements in a movie or commercial. The narrator of a documentary or the announcer introducing a talk show host would be considered a voice over artist. By eliminating the need for a human spokesman, more time can be spent showing the product or visually setting up the storyline of a movie. During the introduction sequence of the film To Kill a Mockingbird, for example, an adult actress provides a voice over to help set the film in her childhood.

A talented voice over artist can have a very long and lucrative career, but there is a significant amount of competition for assignments. Many screen and television actors with distinctive voices are highly in demand for commercial VO work. Some exude an authoritarian quality, notably British actor Patrick Stewart. If Patrick Stewart provides narration for a particular product, the target audience should sense an overall feeling of distinction and quality craftsmanship. A different artist, such as the late Mason Adams, would provide a warmer, folksier tone for products such as Smucker's Jelly.

Over here, regional accents are chosen for certain products. Mike Parkinson does insurance for old people. "They" have the conception that the rest of us think a Yorkshire accent suggests "canniness" about money matters? (but then why not Jezzer from Top Gear?!) Hovis ad?

Carol Vorderman did something similar. Math genius so MUST be good with money?

Not strictly VOs but you get the idea? I find it all a bit tacky.

Dave.

Some exude an authoritarian quality, notably British actor Patrick Stewart. If Patrick Stewart provides narration for a particular product, the target audience should sense an overall feeling of distinction and quality craftsmanship. /QUOTE]

Wow :eek: I must be missing something then.

Carol Vorderman did something similar. Math genius so MUST be good with money?

Not strictly VOs but you get the idea? I find it all a bit tacky.

Dave.

Dave the last thing people think about Carol Vorderman is that she is good with money or a maths genius. Most likely what they do think would get you banned from the forum if put into print.:thumbs up:

Dave the last thing people think about Carol Vorderman is that she is good with money or a maths genius. Most likely what they do think would get you banned from the forum if put into print.:thumbs up:

Yes but Mz Riley is even MORE ****able!

Dave.

Back