Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is voice over work?

Thanks

what is voice over work?

Sign in to disable this ad
    What is voice over work?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sjaguar13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A voice over is normally considered a recorded speaking part over a music bedtrack. Some examples are. A script read over music in a radio commercial, naration in a film documentary or a bisuness message read over music for a "on hold" phone system.

Thanks
    ok, sweet, thanks!

Thanks
    I was going to try to be funny and say I prefer making money with my voice over working for a living.

But any time you hear a recorded voice on anything, some recorded it and (hopefully) was paid to do it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by radi0j0hn View Post
    I was going to try to be funny...
    Well, you succeeded...considering that you just resurrected a 17 year old thread!

Thanks
    How odd, it was is the forum digest I just got. The VO scene has gotten crazy in 17 years. Kind of what self-publishing did to itself.

Thanks
    I think the latest craze is 'voice over training'. I wonder how many people make money in voice over work? I wonder how many make money after taking up this voice over training?

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    The VO scene has gotten crazy in 17 years. Kind of what self-publishing did to itself.
    I do a fair bit -- Nothing huge (well, I had a bit during the next to last Parks and Rec episode which was technically a commercial, but part of the episode nonetheless), a lot of gaming stuff, LOTS of local PSA goofiness, used to do a lot of music store and a half-zillion radio spots.

Recently, I did an "audition" (I like to call them that because they do but they're basically cattle-calls for finished product) for a large regional home improvement company.

Didn't think too much about it - until I was watching the commercial. I have a feeling the fix was in. It was terrible. The director's notes said "brash, cocky, working-man tough" and I gave them two different versions, each with their own personality, but both fitting the descriptors. What aired was a boring, unclear, unexciting, emotionless read that sounded unrehearsed and unprepared, obviously by someone will little or no experience.

I'm not suggesting that *I* should've done the spot -- I'm just suggesting that they already knew who was doing it and the cattle-call -- er -- audition -- was a formality for the agents.

WIth the way I feel about mastering "auditions" I'm still surprised I bother with VO auditions. But I do it for "fun" as much as anything else. I get a gig here and there, agent sends audition notices here and there (I don't do many of them). And I do enough for the local municipalities that I'm not "craving" it anyway.

These dudes though...

Thanks
    I am surprised at how many appear to get in to it thinking they will earn massive bucks. There is that many now trying to do voice over work the payments must have dropped through the floor except for the select few top names.

There is almost as many on Youtube claiming to be top voice over artists/actors offering expensive on-line training.

I have been self employed for years and one golden rule is........If you find and get involved in something that you make lots of cash. The last thing you do is tell and teach the whole world to do same. If it sounds too good to be true. It usually is.

Thanks
    Hollywood actors, well known ones, often do VO work without IDing themselves. A: They are good at what they do. B: People may not recognise them, but the voice sounds familiar, C: It's not real hard work. D: Ad agencies tell a potential client they can use (famous name) versus no name voice to get the account.

Thread Information