what software to transfer from 4-track to PC?

Philby_Walsh

I have recently purchased a tascam 414 mk2 and want to transfer these to my PC as I have a CD burner.

what software should I use(It nearly has to be free as Im a struggling student)? I only want to do minor work with them when I transfer them to the PC (noise reduction, small amt. of echo/compression/delay etc.)

When I transfer my music from the 4-track to the software will it keep my 4 individual tracks intact so I can manipulate them seperately or will it take it as a whole track?

Thanks a lot guys.
I think I'm going to like this place :)

cheers man.

I took a look at the site and it looks good but im not sure if you can edit/add effects each track seperately. can you??

cheers for your time.

Goldwave is a 2 track editor.

If you want to retain individual control over each track you will need some multitracker software. www.fasoft.com will do the job.

Ideally you want a 4 input soundcard. Otherwise, you could do it in 2 passes. If you have space/lead time at the start of the tape, record a click or two (on all four tracks at once, click can be anything, tapping on a mic stand, doesn't need to be in time) so you can line up the 2 sets of 2 tracks once you get to digital land. This won't guarantee perfect sync, four-tracks drift like any other mechanical device, but will make it a little easier. Your 4-track may not be able to record 4 tracks at one time, you will have to look at the specs.

In the case you can get a four-input soundcard: First of all, you need to look if your 4-track has 4 independent outputs, 'cause in my case I have a Porta 07 Tascam and it only has the stereo and monitor outputs, so anyway you have to record 2 tracks at a time.

But believe me: Do so ONLY IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE. It's a real pain in the *** getting them to sync. I've tried it!

:rolleyes:

remember outuput left and right also means output 1 and 2! pan the tracks hard to either side: for instance pan all the instrument tracks to the left and the vocal tracks to the right, this way you can screw around with the vocal sound, and add different effects to the to the instrument group... then in your mixdown centre the pan....no need to worry about syncing , and no need for a four channel sound card! sure its not ideal but its the best result you can hope for without spending $$$

Back