What is really differentiating a Field mixer from a 2ch mic pre?

Ubik2020

New Friends, my first post here! These days I have realized that being an acoustic instrument musician is not enough to be able to communicate your music to larger number of people in open air. In the last 2 years i concentrate on improving my playing technique and it is now time to share it in parks, villas, cathedral's square, etc etc.

All my stuff need to be battery operated!

I therefore started to learn which kind of hardware i do need. First thing I have done is to test microphones with a Art audio interface (Budget mic pre). I ended up with 2 lavalier condensers mic that i stick to the instrument. being my instrument a very delicate and nuanced one (Hang) i need quite large amount of gain. The signal goes to a superportable ik multimedia iLoud speaker, that receives the sound from the pre phone out, to the iloud minijack input.

So what?
I need to have more gaind thant 44dB the art offer but I cannot understand if I should choose a high gain mic pre or shall i get a field mixer. Functionality here seems to overlap and i was almost deciding for a fiel mixer, when i noticed that some of them do not declare a gain in their specs. I need both high gain and phantom and ,my fear is that mic pre deliver gain by definitions but maybe field mixers not? Thanxs for helping me in understanding.
A next step might be to get a better speaker, but I really need a supersmall one (a roland cube is too large to be on the move for me)
THANKS

If you just need more gain (and I am assuming you are nowhere near feedback?) you could try the FetHead pre amps. There is a version that passes through phantom power.

If you want a significant improvement in sound quality and SPL you need altogether better kit and a leisure battery. Tiny, light weight kit and good sound does not compute.

I heard a guy with guitar singing in our main town centre street a few weeks ago with a Cube. Sounded quite good but he was TOO BLOODY LOUD. Give the other buskers a chance!

Dave.

Back