What to get/upgrade next for my home 'studio' for voice-over work?

big jilm

Hey, all.

I am beginning to try and take my home recording a bit more seriously. I enjoy recording songs I have written, but the real reason for my desire to get back into recording is the fact that I am trying to get some voice-over work, and am starting to record my character and announcer reels to pass out to an agent and potential clients.

What I have now is pretty modest, but I am able to get some semi-decent recordings so far. Here is the totality of my 'studio' as of now:

Mics: AKG c212 condenser, Behringer C1 condenser, Shure SM58, vintage Shure 545 Unidyne III
Preamp: Pre-Sonus BlueTube (I don't really know if this is doing much to the sound, TBH)
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (older version 1)
Computer and DAW: 2015 Macbook Pro - still running GarageBand
Monitors: KRK Rokit 5
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATHM40fs
Vocal Booth: My closet, with blankets and some acoustic treatment on a moveable room divider

I am now wondering what I should invest in next.

1. DAW. My first thought is to upgrade to Logic Pro X, as GarageBand is somewhat limiting, even for voice-over work. I am thinking Logic as I am familiar with Garageband, so the transition would be easier... though Reaper is MUCH cheaper, and I know some voice actors use and like it.
2. Microphone. I just got the AKG c212 a week ago - my first 'good' condenser mic. Cost 350 on sale. I don't feel that it is the best fit for my voice (which is baritone and bass) seems a bit harsh on the top end - pretty bright. For a bit more I can get a used Neumann TLM 2 which MIGHT be better. The mic needs to be a good fit for me, as in voice-over work there are no instruments around the voice, and no reverb - it's just naked voice (with compression, de-essing, etc.) I'd like to get a really good mic right from the start - but if nothing in the under 700 mark is noticeably better than the AKG, I'd save the cash and upgrade somewhere else. I can still take the AKG back and get something else if I want to - I just have to figure it out within the next couple weeks or so.
3. Interface. Would upgrading the interface to, let's say, a version 2 Scarlett do me much good? I don't need more channels, as the most I would really use would be two (and more likely one).
4. Vocal booth. I simply can't afford one - but I am getting the closet sounding better and better. For voice-over stuff, the room needs to be really 'dead' sounding. Moving blanket tents, etc. I am sorta working on this slowly, and I can't create anything permanent in the closet. The room I am in is noisy (near a freeway) and I am able to get it pretty dang quiet in the closet right now.
5. Pre-amp. I have had the BlueTube for years. To be honest, I don't know if it even really helps on the voice stuff I have tried it with. Still experimenting here.
6. Monitors and headphones. I am really happy with the KRK's - no desire to upgrade here as of now. My headphones suck, though. Very trebly and thin. I don't think it matters that much, but what do i know.

So - what should be my focus next? I am tempted to spend the money to 'upgrade' the mic and the DAW first... possibly the used Neumann and Logic Pro X. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks for any thoughts!

big jilm

Hey,
Daw wise, I'd try reaper first purely on the basis that you can.
If logic has a demo then sure..try it too, but I can't think of anything I'd need beyond reaper's capabilities for straight forward voice-over.

Mic wise, I'd be hesitant to buy anything unless you've tried it or have good reason to believe it's a fit. Do you have any opportunities to roadtest or borrow any microphones?
You want a microphone that suits your voice in your environment so our advice will be broad and may or may not be relevant.

That said, if harshness or brightness is a recurring theme, maybe look to the classic dynamics? How do you find the 58?
If you find it good and suitable but lacking something, a 7b would be the logical progression with much more bass and a real voiceover/radio history behind it. Re20 is another, but I'd describe it as a smoother sounding mic with less hype in the bass (up close).

An advantage to dynamics is how close they let you get without issues. This can have a huge effect on reducing background noise and room ambience.
If you presently operate at anything over 6" from the mic, I'd seriously consider that. ^^

If you look into either of these a solid preamp is a great idea, which brings me to the next point; Interface.

If you're using an external preamp there's no real need to upgrade the interface.
That said, the 2i2 doesn't have dedicated line inputs which may or may not be considered a drawback, but if you have no problem with it, that's cool.

Sticking to condenser microphones and the gear that you've got, I always mention the oktava mk219 as a slightly more natural sounding microphone.
There was/is? a trend of bright/harsh cheap condenser microphones and the mk219 always struck me as a nice recommendation going against that trend.

With your treatment, a bunch of dense anything can go a long way.
Some rockwool panels would really help to deaden things. There's no end of +1s on that around the forum, and a few threads on DIY builds.

Hope something there is useful, and welcome to HR!

Last edited:
Hey,
Daw wise, I'd try reaper first purely on the basis that you can.
If logic has a demo then sure..try it too, but I can't think of anything I'd need beyond reaper's capabilities for straight forward voice-over.

Mic wise, I'd be hesitant to buy anything unless you've tried it or have good reason to believe it's a fit. Do you have any opportunities to roadtest or borrow any microphones?
You want a microphone that suits your voice in your environment so our advice will be broad and may or may not be relevant.

That said, if harshness or brightness is a recurring theme, maybe look to the classic dynamics? How do you find the 58?
If you find it good and suitable but lacking something, a 7b would be the logical progression with much more bass and a real voiceover/radio history behind it. Re20 is another, but I'd describe it as a smoother sounding mic with less hype in the bass (up close).

Another advantage to dynamics is how close they let you get without issues. This can have a huge effect on reducing background noise and room ambience.
If you presently operate at anything over 6" from the mic, I'd seriously consider that. ^^

If you look into either of these a solid preamp is a great idea, which brings me to the next point; Interface.

If you're using an external preamp there's no real need to upgrade the interface.
That said, the 2i2 doesn't have dedicated line inputs which may or may not be considered a drawback, but if you have no problem with it, that's cool.

Sticking to condenser microphones and the gear that you've got, I always mention the oktava mk219 as a slightly more natural sounding microphone.
There was/is? a trend of bright/harsh cheap condenser microphones and the mk219 always struck me as a nice recommendation going against that trend.

With your treatment, a bunch of dense anything can go a long way.
Some rockwool panels would really help to deaden things. There's no end of +1s on that around the forum, and a few threads on DIY builds.

Hope something there is useful, and welcome to HR!

Thanks very much for the advice! My 58 sounds a little weak and dull to me on recordings - I do use it live a lot though. I have researched the Shure 7b, and considered it quite a bit. Might be a good choice! I know that it needs quite a bit of preamp boost - would my Presonus blueTube work well enough for that? Guitar Center has a great return policy. I don't want to abuse it, but I would like to find a mic that works really well with my voice.
I just watched a tutorial on the Owens-Corning 4" panels - they look like a good idea as well.

So - DAW and possibly mic change out so far. Thanks!

Thanks very much for the advice!

No probs. :)

Thanks very much for the advice! My 58 sounds a little weak and dull to me on recordings - I do use it live a lot though. I have researched the Shure 7b, and considered it quite a bit.

Re20 might be the better choice of the two, then. I do find it a bit brighter and clearer, although I prefer the 7b for my voice.
I could throw together a bit of a shootout, if that would help? I have a pretty bassy voice myself.

would my Presonus blueTube work well enough for that?

That's the part I'm not sure about. I have a bunch of great preamps here so I'm sort of spoiled that way.
GAP Pre-73 and Focusrite ISA1 always seem to get love, but I have no experience with either.

What's your location, for anyone offering shopping/price advice?

No probs. :)

Re20 might be the better choice of the two, then. I do find it a bit brighter and clearer, although I prefer the 7b for my voice.
I could throw together a bit of a shootout, if that would help? I have a pretty bassy voice myself.

That's the part I'm not sure about. I have a bunch of great preamps here so I'm sort of spoiled.
GAP Pre-73 and Focusrite ISA1 always seem to get love, but I have no experience with either.

What's your location, for anyone offering shopping/price advice?

A shoot-out would be awesome!
I'll check on the RE-20 - I am not familiar with that one. I am in Houston, Texas - where it is currently as hot as the heart of a small sun.

A shoot-out would be awesome!
I'll check on the RE-20 - I am not familiar with that one. I am in Houston, Texas - where it is currently as hot as the heart of a small sun.

It's a legendary VO+broadcast mic, although it can be used in various roles in studios too.
By design it minimises proximity effect; The exaggeration of bass frequencies as a result of being very close to a cardioid microphone.
That means you can get right on the thing without losing the natural sound.

Afterthought:
Preamp wise, the problem is usually that dynamics need more gain and more gain often means noticeable hiss.

If your current preamp plays nice with the 58 and gives you a loud enough signal without audible hiss, then it should be adequate for an re20, or similar, too.

Is there a way for me to share an mp3 on this forum? I just recorded a quick speaking clip, and the mic doesn't sound too bright to me right now.

Yes, you can.
When you're creating a post click 'Go Advanced' at the bottom right hand side, then use the attachment manager.
Alternatively if you use soundcloud you can just paste the link directly and it will auto-embed.

Bit surprised no one has mentioned the 'back end'? The KRKs get an 'ok' review here: KRK Rokit 5 & Rokit 8 |

But that was way back in 2004 and monitor quality has I think advanced a lot in over a decade? You mentioned cash retrains so esoterics like the coaxial Genelecs are just a dream but maybe something from Adam? Search the reviews looking for low colouration, you don't need high SPLs nor trouser flapping capability for VOs! (and you still have the R8s for 'LOUD') MOST importantly invest $20 in a 'C' weighted sound level meter then seek out Massive's Missive on Monitor Calibration. Speech, more than anything else must be reproduced at natural levels, it is bang on the place where the ELContours are the most sensitive (and unfortunately where most woofer/tweeters crossover so good engineering at that point is vital) .

SM7b? Only know LOTS of people rate it for gobwork. You can get a Cloudlifter or FETHead pre amp if hiss is a problem (straight into the 2i2 mic pre)

DAW? As usual I shall mention Samplitude Pro X Silver. Built in MP3 (and kitchen sink) encoder and an easy ability to make a double mono track from one mic AS you record.

Of course room treatment, can be done very cheaply if you don't want 'pretty'. There is a discussion elsewhere about Reflection Filter, might be worth a varder?

Dave.

Bit surprised no one has mentioned the 'back end'? The KRKs get an 'ok' review here: KRK Rokit 5 & Rokit 8 |

But that was way back in 2004 and monitor quality has I think advanced a lot in over a decade? You mentioned cash retrains so esoterics like the coaxial Genelecs are just a dream but maybe something from Adam? Search the reviews looking for low colouration, you don't need high SPLs nor trouser flapping capability for VOs! (and you still have the R8s for 'LOUD') MOST importantly invest $20 in a 'C' weighted sound level meter then seek out Massive's Missive on Monitor Calibration. Speech, more than anything else must be reproduced at natural levels, it is bang on the place where the ELContours are the most sensitive (and unfortunately where most woofer/tweeters crossover so good engineering at that point is vital) .

SM7b? Only know LOTS of people rate it for gobwork. You can get a Cloudlifter or FETHead pre amp if hiss is a problem (straight into the 2i2 mic pre)

DAW? As usual I shall mention Samplitude Pro X Silver. Built in MP3 (and kitchen sink) encoder and an easy ability to make a double mono track from one mic AS you record.

Of course room treatment, can be done very cheaply if you don't want 'pretty'. There is a discussion elsewhere about Reflection Filter, might be worth a varder?

Dave.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm OK with my KRK Rokit 5's for now - but in the future I may look at something better. As far as the SM7b goes, that plus a cloud lifter (or similar, I guess) is on my short list if the AKG c214 doesn't work out.
Thanks for the DAW recommendation, as well - I'll check it out!

Negative. That's pretty natural to me.
@jimmys69 You know the KRKs. Are they bassy?

Dave's right too...I'm dropped the ball pretty hard not talking about monitors.
The problem you can here with wasn't hiss or ambience or whatever...It was pure tonal preference which is influenced massively by your monitors and room, or headphones.

Do you reference commercially released material much? I mean, forget cinema intros and what not but audiobooks, radio shows, etc?
That's a decent way for home-recording joe to get a handle on what his monitors are doing right or doing wrong.

I'm going to break the golden rule and suggest maybe thinking about a pair of good headphones and getting really well used to them.

Maybe I'm wrong but for solo V/O I'm thinking a pair of headphones that you know well is going to be much better than reasonablish monitors in a less than ideal room.

Something to think about. :)

I understand you can get BBC Radio 4 on internet anywhere in the world? If you can listen to studio voices on that.

I may be biased (and they are not what they were engineeringwise) but I still think the BBC have probably the best technical voice quality you are likely to hear?

BTW! You don't have to wait for new monitors to calibrate what you have!

Dave.

Negative. That's pretty natural to me.
@jimmys69 You know the KRKs. Are they bassy?

Dave's right too...I'm dropped the ball pretty hard not talking about monitors.
The problem you can here with wasn't hiss or ambience or whatever...It was pure tonal preference which is influenced massively by your monitors and room, or headphones.

Do you reference commercially released material much? I mean, forget cinema intros and what not but audiobooks, radio shows, etc?
That's a decent way for home-recording joe to get a handle on what his monitors are doing right or doing wrong.

I'm going to break the golden rule and suggest maybe thinking about a pair of good headphones and getting really well used to them.

Maybe I'm wrong but for solo V/O I'm thinking a pair of headphones that you know well is going to be much better than reasonablish monitors in a less than ideal room.

Something to think about. :)

Thanks very much!

Listening back to that quick track I recorded, it sounds pretty natural to me as well (diction mistakes and phrasing choices aside) - I guess when I said it was 'bassy' what I meant was it isn't too trebly like I originally thought the mic sounded. I am thinking that my money will probably be better spent treating the space I intend to record in than in 'upgrading' my mic or whatnot. I am thinking of trading the AKG for a Shure SM7b, though - it may be a better choice for me, as my recording space will never be all that great.

Thanks for the advice on headphones as well - mine really sound terrible. Very harsh and trebly, not very natural at all.

---------- Update ----------

I understand you can get BBC Radio 4 on internet anywhere in the world? If you can listen to studio voices on that.

I may be biased (and they are not what they were engineeringwise) but I still think the BBC have probably the best technical voice quality you are likely to hear?

BTW! You don't have to wait for new monitors to calibrate what you have!

Dave.

Thanks for this - I do listen to BBC radio sometimes, and they do sound great to me! I'll pay more attention to the sound they have as compared to what I am getting.

Explore this site a bit #1 Voice Over Marketplace for Voice Talent | Voices.com . Take a listen to the demos and compare them to how you sound (the demo you posted does sound good to my ears). The bios of the VO artist on that site will generally include the mic(s) they use as well as other gear and the DAW. You may notice that many use condenser mics and they vary from low end up to Neumann U87's, with an occasional SM7b dynamic as well.
The Focusrite ISA One that Steen suggested is a decent preamp that I don't think you could go wrong with. I've been happy with the one I have for singing vocals. If you haven't tried it yet, try varying the distance from mouth to mic as it may alter the low end response due to 'proximity effect'. Presuming you meant C214, rather than C212?

Explore this site a bit #1 Voice Over Marketplace for Voice Talent | Voices.com . Take a listen to the demos and compare them to how you sound (the demo you posted does sound good to my ears). The bios of the VO artist on that site will generally include the mic(s) they use as well as other gear and the DAW. You may notice that many use condenser mics and they vary from low end up to Neumann U87's, with an occasional SM7b dynamic as well.
The Focusrite ISA One that Steen suggested is a decent preamp that I don't think you could go wrong with. I've been happy with the one I have for singing vocals. If you haven't tried it yet, try varying the distance from mouth to mic as it may alter the low end response due to 'proximity effect'. Presuming you meant C214, rather than C212?

Thanks for the link! I'm checking it out now. And yes - it's the c214. I am fighting the part of me that just wants to take back the mic and get the Neumann because it's a Neumann, if you know what I mean. And thanks for commenting on the clip I posted!

So my KRK's are bass heavy... dang it! There is a pot on the back to adjust high frequency, but nothing for the lows.

Things you could do....Top tip, get the speaker off any desk or surface. Make some floor stand that get the tweeters at seated ear level but make the stands 'vestigial' that is you want as much air under the speakers as possible.

Keep speakers as far away from walls as possible, in all directions but NOT in the middle of the room.

Decouple the cabinets from the mounting surface. No need to spend ***t loads of $$ on mounts (of dubious efficacy!) a 12"x12"x 1.5" or so brick tile and some pyramid foam will serve. Foam on stand, tile, secure speaker with Blue Tak'

Stuff the port slot with old socks. Not very scientific and MIGHT make them sound worse but, no harm and undoable.

Try 'mono'ing' everything and run just one, central speaker.

Bass traps.

^Not in any particular order but be ruthlessly systematic.

Finally, headphones. Work back through the SoS reviews they usually comment on the can's quality such as heavy or light bass, forward or dim midrange. E.G. I have just got some AKG K92s and they are great for general listening (closed back to keep 'er indoors happy and 'out'!) but could never be described as 'bright'. But then I am clinically deaf!
Dave.

Back