What equipment do I need for therapy headphones!

Hi Dave. I have tried connected the Shure to a PC via an xlr to 3.5mm adapter and while the volume is incredibly low it doesn't cut out at all. I can hear a relay click inside the mixer when using this mic, this cuts out the mic only (on both mic inputs), other sources still play fine, then a while later the mic returns. It's the audio out through the headphones I'm referring to. It's as if the mic level is so low it's turning off the input thinking it's not there.

I think I will return the Shures and look for something else. Is there a sensitivity level that would be considered more acceptable for my entry level mixer that I should look for in the specs?

Once I've replaced the headphones I'll know for sure if the mixer is ok, I think it is though.

There is the t.bone HC 95 mic that was mentioned earlier in this thread, is that one higher sensitivity?

I have never heard of a relay in the audio circuits of a mixer? It might have a noise gate but I would be very surprised if that could not be turned off.

I will see what I can find out about the mixer and the T bone.

Can only find a picture of that mixer, no user manual but there is something by the XLR called "anti-feedback" I wonder if that is some sort of gate? There are other things over the other side the use of which I do not know.

But, better luck with the t.bone! Yes, it is 19dB more sensitive than the Shure, that is almost a times ten boost!

Dave.

Last edited:
Ok, so the mixer I was using is crap. I took the mixer and the Shure headset mic into a proper audio shop to test with their kit. The mic level was so low, so I tried one of their condenser handheld mics and it was better, but still needed to be set to maximum volume to be useable. Also it was still cutting the mic out after about 20 seconds of use and would only return if you spoke loudly back into the mic.

I then tested the mic with one of their budget mixers and it was miles better, even with the quieter dynamic Shure. The unit I got still records to USB or SD card. It's a Studiomaster Club XS6+. It was £119 rather than the ~£30 for the cheapy jobbie, but at least it works properly. So the cheap one I had was either faulty or just plain crap, either way it's going back!

So thanks again for your help.

Back