What else do i need???

Ecstasy

I currently have a Behringer XENYX502, Sm57, Sm58 and XLR cables.
Im looking to record my guitar into my pc or laptop neither of them have RCA inputs im thinking of buying a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface would work? Any suggestions greatly appreciated please help! :confused::confused::confused:

I would look for a "real" audio interface that has at least 24-bit depth capability. Maybe the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22, or the UMC202HD, with dual mic pres, something I think should really be the starting point, though there are plenty of single pre models out there.

The good news is with an actual audio interface, you won't need to use the mixer to record.

The used market is full of USB interfaces that are better choices, as well. Not sure where you are, but I'd probably look there first. I live in a big metro area and I think every GC within easy drive has at least one Presonus, Focusrite, M-box, or something. (They must be wading through these things in the back room...)

However you go, check reviews and ask about usage of a particular model with your PC and operating system, to insure compatibility.

I'm going to second KR's advise about buying a decent audio interface. The little mixer you have doesn't have a USB out, so it will unfortunately be of little to no use in your studio. You need some type of recording software, so I'd go with something like the Steinberg UR12 (an audio interface that comes with FREE software).

If you plan to record any vocals, you'll probably want a decent condenser mic... Good unbiased reference speakers will also make a big impact on your mixes. Also, some decent headphones for tracking would help.

I currently have a Behringer XENYX502, Sm57, Sm58 and XLR cables.
Im looking to record my guitar into my pc or laptop neither of them have RCA inputs im thinking of buying a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface would work? Any suggestions greatly appreciated please help! :confused::confused::confused:

Yes, that would work and the 222/202 is actually a better converter than the one built into the USB versions of the mixers but, as has been said, you would be much better served to get a decent interface instead.

The Behringer Uphoria range do seem good for their money but I am yet to see a review of one I trust (must buy one!) and have read of a few problems*. Whatever interface you get, do get one with two mic inputs. With only one or two (expensive!) exceptions the "one lunged" varieties seem very short on other facilites and I suspect they are built as cheaply as possible. You also have two mics FCS!

But, IF the 222 is all you can afford at the moment the mixer can feed it. I have a 202 and so if you need help come back and I will rig mine up.

*Virtually no interface ever escapes unscathed by the internet! There is always someone having a problem.

Dave.

Thank you to everyone that commented on this thread this is my first time here and I feel very welcomed! Im going to take everyone's advice and get a Interface I also forgot to mention that I already have studio headphones.:)

Good luck with getting started! I'll just go ahead and say again... A good pair of unbiased studio monitors is very helpful! I recommend you purchase some as soon as you have room in the budget. When I started out, I thought headphones were all you need (after all, they're called STUDIO headphones, right??) to get good mixes. When I eventually bought good monitors, I was shocked at how much extra bass there was in my studio headphones. People like pleasure listening with extra bass, but if you have extra bass in your ears while mixing, you will find there isn't enough bass in your finished recordings when listening through other speakers.

I can only comment on what I have, I am using Alesis Elevate 6's and they are pretty good for the money. Depends on your space availability, if you have lots of space (and money) get something with 8's in them. Like the Yamaha HS series. But if your not feeling so rich, then the Alesis are a good mid-range monitor.

As for a DAW take a look at Reaper (Cockos Reaper), it is stacked with features, you can download a fully working (nothing missing, all there) version and use it for 60 days without need for rego. Rego is $80 USD, or $125 if your in Australia (due to exchange rate/tax). It is exceptionally stable, never had it crash once yet, more then I can say about the previous DAW AuditionCrashaLot

"more then I can say about the previous DAW AuditionCrashaLot"

^ Moot to what I said about some bugger, somewhere will always have a problem with any AI! I (and son) have had AA 1.5 for over 12 years and it has never crashed once. Is is a very old version and does not like W7 very much and I use it rarely now but it comes in handy now and then.

Monitors: U would hang fire on those for a good while. Do you have any kind of audio speaker system? A decent "hi fi" rig is ideal but almost anything with stereo speakers will give you a better idea of your mixes than headphones. Car systems can be useful.

I say to hold back because there are scores of active speakers on the market called "monitors" but other than being in a box and having amplifiers and an XLR input they are not really. The number of really good, really accurate monitors around is quite small. Companies like Neumann, PMC, Adam, Genelec and a handful of others. Much depends on the results you want to achieve and (perhaps?) the genre you work in but the whole world of monitors and room treatment stands a cool, long look and a good deal of reading.

Dave.

No matter what monitors you start out with, you will want to upgrade at some point. Probably soon. You have to learn to listen before you can figure out what you need.

Back