What does your electric guitar do for you that an acoustic can't?

What does your electric guitar do for you that an acoustic can't?
What are you getting from your electric that you can't get with your acoustic + effects pedals?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

METAL!!!!

metal.jpg

My electric guitars have the tremolo arms (some folk call them "whammy bars"); but I have never seen an acoustic guitar with one. Of course, I am sure that there could be one out there that has one; but I have never seen one.

My double bass gets a mic, the pickup sound I just hate

While I wouldn't say I hate the pick up sound, I'm with you on that one. I used to record double bass with the pick up and the pick up picked up every slight brush of cable, foot movement and anything. Once I got back to DB, I didn't want to go that route. I would if I played it live but recording it, it's mics all the way. I've actually worked out how to get a pretty good sound.

"NO LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER!"
Ha ha, Vader never actually says that. I used that line in one of my songs, "Luke, I am your father" but having watched the film so many times, it's noteworthy he never calls his name.
But I'm not changing the lyric !!

My 6 strings have never had a drop D in their lives and I could try alternate tunings, but I won't
The first time I experimented with a drop D, I absolutely loved what it did to the sound of chords....but it absolutely altered how the melody worked with the music and I had to rejig bits of it.
But I do like alternate tunings. Double drop D is even better than drop D. There are other ones that I don't even know what they're called and some of them are awful but some of them are gorgeous. Besides, along with capos and varispeeding, they make me sound like a near genius !

Well, Keith Richards used an acoustic for the main guitar on Street Fightin' Man, so there's that...
He was into that thing at the time, record the guitar onto a cassette recorder without a limiter so it was overdriven, then send it to a small extension speaker and put a mic in front of that and then record it onto an 8 track. It made this great electricky sound but with an acoustic guitar. Unfortunately for him, Philips stopped making the cassettes without limiters because they would overdrive and distort and the engineers at Philips were into pristine sound. So the acoustic guitar sounds on songs like "Street fightin' man," "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Gimme Shelter" are unique, never to be reproduced sounds.

I also wear the finger picks backwards
I think I do too. The way I wear the finger pick just looks wrong. Because I sometimes use them for bass, if I want that clicky sound, putting them on the right way would make them get caught under the string whereas backwards is just like my fingerpads.

My electric guitars have the tremolo arms (some folk call them "whammy bars"); but I have never seen an acoustic guitar with one

There's YouTube video I saw with one, last year I think. But there's an easier way to tremolo an acoustic ~ play it and send the mic into an amp with a tremolo setting and mic that. I've done that and it sounds neat.

I have 5 and 6 string basses and I would never play a chord on them
Unless I was specifically going for the Lemmy sound or one of those cute fretless chord sounds, I wouldn't either. In saying that though, I would play chords on bass to act as a bolster to heavy guitar chording. I have used the bass as a lead guitar type guitar before and it sounded great ! But I'm crap at bass chords.

Ha ha, Vader never actually says that. I used that line in one of my songs, "Luke, I am your father" but having watched the film so many times, it's noteworthy he never calls his name.
But I'm not changing the lyric !!

WRONG. Anything pre Special Edition Says LUKE! Get out your VCR tape.

It was 1996. In 1996 the rear view mirror said, Objects in mirror MAY APPEAR closer. It was MAY APPEAR, because there was a dimmer flip lever at the base of the mirror to choose which reflection to use. So the reflections distance was different. Now GM uses Auto dimming mirrors and have no flip lever(starting in 1996 using OBDII). So it says ARE CLOSER. Meat Loaf in 1996 had a song off Bat out a hell , Objects in Rear view MAY appear closer than they are. The song was written by a famous composer who wrote a slew of hits in 80's like Total Eclipse of The Heart, etc. He did not get it wrong. More proof 1996 movie Jurassic Park shows the T rex chase , the Jeeps mirror Said ARE CLOSER for the T rex charge, as a laugh for the audience .1996 was the last year for MAY APPEAR on mirrors. Try and find a residual MAY APPEAR mirror..You cannot. Not even in reproduction houses, or classic auto salvage yards. Where did they all go?. MEATLOAF " objects in the rearview mirror may appear closer than they are"

Last edited:
SEX IN THE CITY.

Recorded award shows are still available calling it by the IN THE title.

SURE we remember it wrong... Award shows dont have people who check facts...

A few are worth questioning.

One guess as to when the special edition StarWars came out with first signs of Georges' "Macklunky" dialog changes...
Year 1996

One guess to when the Sex IN the City started....Series published in 1996.

What happened in 1996 to start this all? What is it about 1996?

I can only take you 'this' far. The rest is up to you.

the feel of playing is different (for example an acoustic drum and a electric drum).
Also if it sounds good, then go for it.
NOTHING BEATS EXPERIMENTATION.
Frusciante's guitar in BSSM (1991) has a solo with an acoustic distorted (i think is the song suck my kiss)
also The Who's tommy has something with acoustic and fx's. (and even older records)

WRONG. Anything pre Special Edition Says LUKE! Get out your VCR tape
While it's true George has mucked about way too much with all of the original trilogy films subsequently, you've got this one wrong. If you think about it, "Luke, I am your father" is completely out of context and makes no sense in the light of the sentences preceding it. Vader has never even called Luke by his name up that point. And bear in mind that Vader is answering an accusation of having murdered Luke's dad.
Out of context and as a phrase in itself, "Luke, I am your father" is the more memorable phrase.
But it's not what was said in the film ! Not in 1980, not ever. It's a bit of a "Beam me up Scotty" or a "Play it again, Sam."
Anyway, watch this video and jump to 12:30.

Not that this has anything to do with arcane effects and acoustic guitars !! :guitar:

Dude, I killed this guys thread.

Anyways..he wont mind the chit chat..

53 seconds in.

Pre special edition Vader says "NO, Luke, I am your father."

Anything else is change by George Lucas after the initial releases.

Thats 15 minutes long...What is the highlighted moment you want me to look at? 12.30 ok

Their memory and presentation is incorrect. See my video link above.

George changed it in 1996. Its not a Mandella effect or Black magic or two worlds BS.

Sex and the City WAS called 'Sex in the City' at ONE TIME. It aint parallel universes.

The 'May appear closer mirror one'...Yeah , man I cannot explain it.

Your video is referencing media after 1996! That is POST Special Edition releases
Yes, but they compare from the 1980 shots. I wouldn't be using special edition releases as evidence to prove something that happened before the special releases !
Lazer, piece that you put up is a fake.
Listen to Vader say "Luke" at around the 0:16 mark. There is this little bit of music that accompanies the word. And when he supposedly says "Luke" at the 0:53-0:54 point, you hear the exact same bit of music !

I've been playing around with overdrive pedals etc with my acoustic guitar. They make it sound like an electric!
An interesting snippet of information. Back in the 1960s, studios like the one at EMI had very strict rules about the levels at which electric guitars could be recorded. The newly emerging independent studios didn't which is why guys like Hendrix and Beck were getting these great guitar sounds. But the EMIs and Deccas were strict. None of that overdriving shit. But they didn't have the same attitude towards acoustic guitars being overdriven, probably because they were acoustic. :D So in that 1966~69 period there were some bands like the Beatles and the Pretty Things and others that got some really interesting guitar sounds that sounded sort of electric but weren't. In a parallel development, Keith Richards was finding that one could subvert the sound of an acoustic towards a more electric sound, as was discussed earlier.
I was doing similar things without knowing all that, fairly early on in my recording life, just out of curiosity, like, what would happen if I plugged an electro acoustic into a flanger and sent it direct to a portastudio, miked the guitar straight into the portastudio, and put a second mic on the guitar, went into an amp, mucked about with the settings so it didn't sound particularly acoustic then sent that sound to the portastudio then recorded all three simultaneously and crunched them together as one track, mixing and matching. The result seemed spectacular to me at the time {1994} and has pointed the way towards the experimental bent I have had since with the guitar.
At the end of the day, it's all about the sound one wants and how it enhances or flavours the song.

Yes, but they compare from the 1980 shots. I wouldn't be using special edition releases as evidence to prove something that happened before the special releases !Lazer, piece that you put up is a fake.

Negative .

Grim, your video is comparing the the special edition releases. It even says so.

No matter the cover on the DVD set, it was altered dialog.

At :14 seconds the man who spoke the lines said, "Luke I am your father" then" I said to myself"...From the horses mouth.

If you watched that , how can you continue.

George Lucas changes the dialog in his movie all the time.

\at the 0:53-0:54 point, you hear the exact same bit of music.

were you with John William's doing sound?

You cant make that conclusion as fake.

It is possible they use the same sound on the moment the name is spoken to help identify. Likely even.

Rockstar / recording artist banter includes Star wars discussion. This stuffs important.

Not this VCR tape its 1995 REMASTER THX audio and has changed dialog also
20201229_211006.jpg

This is the one 1st time released in 1990,
Screenshot 2020-12-31 194750.png

Last edited:
Back