what does protools have that other software doesn't?

antispatula

Honest question. I use REAPER ($40) and am wondering if there are any real reasons to switch over to Pro Tools. I have no reason to record in other studios besides my own, so convenience of going from my setup to another studio without having to export all the tracks to WAV's first or something is not an issue. Oh, and I need only 2 inputs if that matters.

Honest opinions from people that have used both cheaper software and Pro Tools would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't used pro tools much but I have used Sonar quite a bit. I tried Reaper a few months ago and haven't looked back. Honestly for what you are doing you don't need anything more. You will actually have more options using reaper because it can use vts and dxi plug-ins. I believe you need some sort of adapter to use them with pro tools unless something has changed since I last looked into PT.

protools DOESN'T support VST/VSTi's?
I thought Pro Tools was supposed to be industry standard?
An industry standard host that doesn't support an industry standard plugin format?
That is ridiculous.

oh god, not another "I hate PT...why the hell does anyone use it?" thread
:rolleyes:

Okay, let's add other programs to this list then.
Why does anyone use Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, N-Track Studio, Logic, DP, Sound Forge, Fruity Loops, Tracktion, Band in a box, Acid, Wavelab, Peak, Deck, SAW....when you can have Reaper?

Why doesn't everyone drive a Honda? Great gas mileage, great crash ratings, last for years, many come with CD players and sun roofs, they can look stylish or fit an entire family in them. Why would you buy a Land Rover or another car that gets less gas mileage and costs 40 grand more? Why don't they just decide to make one car that everyone should buy?

In the end the Land Rover and Honda do the same thing. Get you from point A to point B.
In the end all digital audio work stations do the same thing, give you the ability to record and mix a song. Does it really matter how you accomplish it? Some prefer the way a certain car looks, handles, etc. just like their studio software.

As I originaly stated,
this isn't an "I hate protools, let's whine about it" thread.
I am honestly looking for possible reasons to switch over if there are any true benefits.

Although I must admit, there doesn't seem to be any.......

Why does it matter if you get pro tools or another program for 1/50th the price? Because you save a crapload of cash, that's why! With all the money you save, you could buy a new guitar, a new amp, a new mic......a honda.....a landrover.......:cool:

It's all down to what you can use best. In the bigger studios ProTools have HD cards which take the pressure off the computers CPU giving better performance when recording.

Regarding Reaper, i've had a few encounters recently from users saying how good it is, one being a well known professional film composer. Definitely going to check it out.

Back