What do I need to split a guitar signal?

asi9

Ya know, it occurred to me that I could do a lot of I could simply split the guitars signal. What would I need to do so.... in other words, if I had two completely seperate guitar amps, and I wanted my guitar to go into BOTH of them with the same amount of signal, what do I need? I'm not talking preamps or outs or anything, in a nutshell, how do I make the signal going through a single cord turn into 2 cords carrying the same signal at the same level?

I think any old splitter would work. 1/4" female to two 1/4" females. Or what about using one of your effect units, plug the guitar into the input and use the stereo L/R to go to each amp. Even a crummy stereo effect stomp box should do it.

True but I wonder if the impedance load of the cables would screw witht the tone.

I'v heard the Sansamp Bass DI (I know you said guitar but stick with me) can also be used as very transparent splitter for instrument level guitar or bass with passive pickups. Look into that.

Another usefull item to consider is a mic pre. You could use something like the PreSonus Bluetube I believe it's called. It's a 2 channel mic pre but can also be used for all kinds of instruments, it has 2 seperate outs in the back so you can send one signal to 2 different places. One other advantage to this is it will bring the signal up to drive longer cable runs. On the plus side, you'd also end up with a mic pre to boot. I've never used one but they have gotten pretty good reviews considering the price range, somewhere around $150.00 I think. There are others out there, this is just the name that came to mind.

A box

My brother plays guitar in our band, and he just bought this stomp box thing. It allows him to plug his guitar into it and go out to 2 seperate amps. He can select amp A, B or both by stepping on a switch. He loves it. He uses a strat, and one amp is a Fender twin reverb, the other some crate thing. He sets up the Fender for that sweet bluesy reverb, and the crate for a distorted sound. Some songs he selects A, others B and when he selects both we ROCK!!!

Sounds like what you need. I'll ask him what it's called.

Ziller

Whirlwind makes some good boxes that split the signal to two different amps or to either one. A, B, or Y. They have one called the Selector and it's about $90. It's a floor pedal device, so you can stomp on it when playing live. Many big name artists use it and it has good circuitry. It uses batteries. http://www.whirlwindusa.com

I use the Behringer DI direct box and use the link feature to split the signal. This is a very transparent box and will run off phantom power or battery. I use it for synthesizers and guitars.

Back