What bit/sample rate should I use?

WERNER 1

When recording my initial tracks, I was wondering what bit/sample rate I should be using, or if there was much of a difference between some of the settings (16 or 32 bit, and 44.1 or higher??)

I'm using Cool Edit Pro and a Delta 1010

Thanks,
Rick

PS - I don't really understand the whole bit/sample thing which may be part of my problem...

Going to 24 bit is definitely worth the processing hit. Now when talking sample rates that's a different story. I record at 44.1 and when I've tried going to 96 it didn't sound any better to me. Mind you I just record rock and heavy metal music. You might have different results recording different instruments.

I suggest 24 bit 44.1 khz. If you've got a powerful proessor and it won't bog you down, by all means try 96 khz. You may like it.

My rate of choice is 24bit, 44.1kHz. 96k is not worth the processing hit for me and I am more than happy with my results at 24/44.1.

Hmmm... I don't know for sure if I can do it at 24 or not, you'd think so but I only recall an 8, 16, and 32 bit option. I'll have to check.

So you guys don't think that there is a much of a noticable difference between 44.1 and 96(?)

Rick

The old Cool Edit Pro app wouldn't do 24 bit. You could record at 32 bit float and get those 24 bits though.

I don't agree about 44.1 being "good enough", and "perfect", but I do subscribe that it makes things easier in the end, and you save a load of DSP power too!

I would much rather work at 24/96 and stay there only doing a hardware SRC in the end, but, you need a LOT of cpu to process tracks at that sample rate.

I still do a lot of work at 48k, and still feel it is a benefit to do so. So, either 44.1 or 48 would be my choice. If you are doing productions where the track count is going to stay low, 48 will give you a bit of an edge. If you are going to get into high track counts, stick to 44.1 because you will need all the processing power you can get.

WERNER 1 said:
Hmmm... I don't know for sure if I can do it at 24 or not, you'd think so but I only recall an 8, 16, and 32 bit option. I'll have to check.
Go with 32bit. Mind you, the external stuff that you record through the Delta will still be recorded at 24bit, but internally all will be handled at 32bit and as a bonus, it will be more difficult to clip signals (it's still possible, so don't go all while and push everything in the red).

WERNER 1 said:
So you guys don't think that there is a much of a noticable difference between 44.1 and 96(?)

Rick
At the level of Delta's I'd say there are more negatives to going to higher samplerates than benefits. In fact, I'd say you'd do more harm by going to 96kHz as the cheaper clocks aren't that great at handling higher frequencies. Now, if you were using stuff like Matric Halo, RME or Apogee, maybe there would be a benefit.

I checked last night, and my CEP has the 32 bit floater option (Not sure how that works, but I guess that's what I'll use.)

One more confirmation question - When I'm all said and done, and I'm ready to burn something to CD, I need to be at 16 bit / 44.1 Correct?

Thanks,
Rick

ALL commercial CDs use the standard 16/44.1 bitdepth/sample rate..

(cept for SACD which uses DSD)

WERNER 1 said:
32 bit floater option (Not sure how that works, but I guess that's what I'll use.)

I hate it when my roomate leaves a 32 bit floater in the toilet..... :D

also make sure you add dither to your final mixdown when going from 24 bit to 16 bit (or 32 to 16)

Uh Ok...........now what's "Dither" ???? :confused:

I guess you really DO learn something new everyday huh! :)

Rick

PS - I may upgrade to Adobe Audition tonight.

Back