What audio interface would you recommend??

whodat

Hi Everybody:

I was wondering if you could recommend an audio interface. I had roland interface in the past, and presonus 44vsl. I am a big Studio One user and the 44vsl performed awful. My question is this, I have a Native Instruments Audio Komplete 6 interface that works great. But then I thought about this presonus studio 192. Should I keep the NI interface because it just works, but I thought about giving presonus another chance and thought about getting the 192 that integrates with studio one. Which interface is better you think? Thanks.
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192
Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 | Products

My main daw is studio one and I use NI maschine with a kontrol keyboard by NI. THx

Let me, a black sheep newbie, get this rolling. I would go with the K A 6 due to 4 inputs being vastly superior to only two inputs. With only two inputs, you can't dual mic a guitar then add a mic for voice. So anyone/everyone with a 2 input interface, is little better than a 24 bit internal audio card. Sure they would have 48v phantom power for condenser mics and some pan/eq capability with most external audio interfaces, and that matters, but having 4 inputs comparative to two, is a big deal (to me). You need a computer capable of handling the device that you buy. Good luck.

What one would y'all recommend that is inexpensive as possible and basically bare bones - pre-amp and phantom power but that's about it? Only use would be adding mic to keyboard (not necessarily using at same time).

What one would y'all recommend that is inexpensive as possible and basically bare bones - pre-amp and phantom power but that's about it? Only use would be adding mic to keyboard (not necessarily using at same time).

No brainer. The M-Audio M-track Mk1 but that has been replaced by the Mkll and I have no information on that. The Alesis iO2 is the same AI as the M-A Mk1 and I have one and it seems remarkably good for £80.

Otherwise look at second hand units. I bought a Scarlet 8i6 for £100 (but it came without the 12volt supply. Fortunately I have about a dozen of the bloody things sculling about being an old tekky!) but beware of older units that might not work well on W7 or later or indeed at all. My downtown Cash Generator shop gives a 7 day, no quibble money back service if the unit does not work.

A S/H M-A Fast Track Pro should be fine e.g. but not the otherwise excellent ESI 0404 USB.

Dave.

Thanks! With the M-audio (both that one and one simply called "M-Audio M-Track"), I don't see anything about a pre-amp, but phantom power only. Am I missing something? Or if my only addition is a mic to a keyboard, do I need more than phantom power?

Thanks! With the M-audio (both that one and one simply called "M-Audio M-Track"), I don't see anything about a pre-amp, but phantom power only. Am I missing something? Or if my only addition is a mic to a keyboard, do I need more than phantom power?

Not Absolutely sure I understand the question! But, the M-Track (MkOne!) has TWO microphone pre amps, equipped with phantom power and converters to send/ receive data from a computer. It also has MIDI input and outputs. This is the basic format of an AI.

So yes, if you got the MT you would just plug mic into one input and keyboard audio into the other but the "line" input as against the XLR mic.

Dave.

Thanks! A bit new to all this....I saw some AIs which specifically stated pre-amps, and some did not, so I was assuming the ones that did not didn't have it...

Thanks! A bit new to all this....I saw some AIs which specifically stated pre-amps, and some did not, so I was assuming the ones that did not didn't have it...

No worries. BTW if you went for the Alesis iO2 you get Cubase LE. Excellent DAW and none better for MIDI with the keyboard.
Tee-Hee!

Dave.

Back