Weird Glitch/Shortout sound while recording the other day Logic 9

RobMoreno

Hey everybody,
I was recording a very slapdash session the other day at school. I wanted to do a test run recording of my new trio and I only had about 45 minutes to use the piano room so I had no time to troubleshoot while recording. Weird sound happens at about 21 seconds in. Anyway Here is my setup for this:

Macbook pro late 2015
RME Babyface Pro
Rhode NTK
SM58

I have OSX El Capitan installed on an external harddrive as well as Logic 9 and I ran this entire setup off of the 7200RPM HDD. To be honest, I have no idea what this sound is. CPU overload? Hard drive too slow? Cell phone? It happened about 4 times over the 45 minutes. On the wave, it doesn't appear to be a spike, just a normal healthy wave.

Thank you so much!

Rob

Attachments

• Weird Sound from MTR Trio.mp3
    646 KB · Views: 10
As a guess - the driver dropped out and that was the sample rate re-syncing. Are you using the DC power supply, or USB bus power. There are reports of these having occasional issues when the computer supply drops a little in voltage. You have some nice kit for a school - can the technician not sort this out for you?

My Tascam does a very similar thing every now and then, cycling the power on and off restores normality. Have to say with the Rode mic, and the interface, the SM58 seems an 'interesting' choice of second mic. Being nosey, wondering how you cover a trio with those two mics?

Thanks for the reply. I was using USB power on the RME. I did not intend for this to be a professional grade recording but just something that was better than my DSLR mic. We're just looking to send a 1 minute vid to some local gig spots. I wanted to capture the piano with the Rhode and I had the bass amp and the guitar amp facing the SM58. I figured the rhode would pick up the sound of my guitar strings and the high end of the bass. We are going for an Oscar Peterson drumless trio thing.

This is my equipment, I just grabbed what I saw first and headed out the door, I have some more mics and a few more pres but it was the last day of school and I got the teacher to open the room for an hour before he left work. Now that I recall, there was a heavy amount of latency at the time as well, I just didn't care cause I was recording the video on my DSLR and we weren't monitoring it all. But I'm a noob, I just like to play. I bought some nice stuff so even if I goof up, it won't sound like hot trash.

Back